Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX Motor Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've thought about going with a 416, higher compression piston, cam, mild porting, and FCR carb. What kind of gain do you think I would get with a stock bore, higher compression piston (10.8:1 or 11:1), and XR400 or GT Thunder cam? Please help. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Over winter I did the 10.5 piston (stock bore),head porting,and GT Thunder cam.I havent had too much chance to run it I still have some jetting to do,but it felt plenty strong. I'm happy so far.

Old 04-25-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

What are you wanting to do with the quad? If you are planning to MX it, what type of track is it? [traditional MX or supercross/stadium]

Old 04-25-2001, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

I ran against 2 heavly modified [RED]440's[/RED] this weekend on a M/X track. (Both had about [GREEN]$3500[/GREEN] stuck in their motors.) The track is clearly a [BLUE]Banshee[/BLUE] track. (Having lots of wide open straights.) I must say that my stock motor ran as well, if not better than the 440's. I came from last place, and wound up in second. I fought with the first place rider until the end. He beat me by only a tire. I believe that I will be leaving my motor stock for awhile. I am planing on changing my pipe to the CURTIS X-6 though. This would be the reason why:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...721&p=47235195

Not sure why, or how this happened!!

Old 04-25-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Higher compression negates the loss of low end by a wild cam, to a point...

I have a friend that went the route of the GT Thunder cam and is very happy with it - I haven't gotten to ride it yet to compare to my identically prepared bike with the XR cam. My guess is it will pull thru the mid and top much better.

I use the XR mainly for fuel economy for 2hr+ long races on the stock tank. It produces enough low end that I don't have to scream the engine to make power. With my setup I have more power and get better fuel economy than stock bikes. If it weren't for fuel economy for long race fears, I'd be running the GT-T cam in an instant.

With the combo you mention, expect fairly significant gains throughout the powerband.

Old 04-25-2001, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well, there are two local track in particular that I am talking about. One is a wide-open, 1.1 mile, traditional MX track. The other is a little bit tighter. It's called an SX track, but it's outdoors, and more like an MX if anything.

ANYWAY, I talked to my local motor builder, and told him I didn't want to go too radical starting off. I may change things later. He suggested a stock bore 10:1 piston, and an all-around cam. I also had him check on a 3-angle valve job. Do these 3-angle valve jobs help out? Is it worth doing? Also, will I be pleased with these mods? I would like about the same kind of power delivery as what I have now, but just on a higher level. What do you guys think? Thanks a lot.

Old 04-26-2001, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Can anyone help?

Old 04-26-2001, 05:55 PM
LDJ
Pro Rider

I used to have a 10:5:1 piston stock bore, web cam and no porting. I like this set-up a lot I lost no bottom end and gained power everywhere.

If you don't want to lose bottom end get the 10:5:1 piston
GT Thunder cam
FCR Carb

You will now most likely if you want all the power you can get, you need a high flow header pipe.

With those mods you will not be disapointed at all. Now I ride in the dunes only, so I changed my set up.

Old 04-26-2001, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

LDJ,

Which Web Cam did you have with your setup you described? Was it the track cam, or all-around cam? Did you put in aftermarket springs, rockers, etc.? If you didn't, did anything get worn, or beat up? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2001, 02:38 AM
LDJ
Pro Rider

I have the 450/451 grind, which is the step below the race cam. I don't have to use springs, but I would recommend rockers. My cam has held up well no problems, but web cam recommends hardfaced rockers. I took a look at mine a while back and it is slowly starting wear, but there are about 50 hours on the cam at least. I still feel the same power increase. I talked to webcam and they will hardface my rockers for $250 and will fix my my cam for free. Pam at web cam said that my cam should look the way I described it to her, she said it is not worn out.

Quick Reply: 400EX Motor Mods