Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if you're counting top to bottom or bottom to top. Dropping the circlip will raise the needle allowing more fuel (richer).
If 3 was an improvement over 4, try the second spot.
I was just going to drink a beer to celebrate your victory but it appears I was premature. Guess I'll compromise with a box wine
If you're bored tonight, you can check out this site;

Mikuni Tuning and Jetting Guide - THE VINTAGE BIKE BUILDER

Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s worth the try. How many turns out is your fuel screw? Are you letting the bike warm up before judging how it runs and what’s the outside temp. Where is the bog at when your pulling midways through each gear or running 1/4 throttle or so in a gear.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yoakum
Don't know if you're counting top to bottom or bottom to top. Dropping the circlip will raise the needle allowing more fuel (richer).
If 3 was an improvement over 4, try the second spot.
I was just going to drink a beer to celebrate your victory but it appears I was premature. Guess I'll compromise with a box wine
If you're bored tonight, you can check out this site;

Mikuni Tuning and Jetting Guide - THE VINTAGE BIKE BUILDER
sweet! Wine is always good XD what I meant by raising and lowering the needle is that It was stock when I got it on the third clip. Then I moved it down one to the 4th one so the needle sat one clip higher, then that’s when I really noticed the bogging out, I moved it to the 5th the highest point where the needle sits and it was a lot worse, so I moved it back to stock 3rd clip where it sits in the middle. It was better in the third but if I move the clip up one more to the 2nd position then wouldn’t that be making it leaner? If I it’s hogging out is it possible it’s too rich? Or does that only
happen when an engine is Lean... and also I have a K&N filter on it now with no outerwear since that’s what the person had on it and I’m still waiting for the foam filter to come in the mail that I bought since I hear bad things about the k&n. Should I wait to do anymore adjustments till I get the filter? Should be here around today or tomorrow I’m hoping.. thanks for your feed back!!

Old 03-04-2019, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
It’s worth the try. How many turns out is your fuel screw? Are you letting the bike warm up before judging how it runs and what’s the outside temp. Where is the bog at when your pulling midways through each gear or running 1/4 throttle or so in a gear.
i believe around 2 3/4 or 3 turns out. Idles good when warmed up but I have to stay on the gas very slightly to keep it running to warm it up. But when it’s warmed up it seems like it’s running good. And yes I been letting the engine warm up around 5-10 min and also the bogging starts around 1/2 throttle to full throttle in every gear.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

The K&N with no airbox restriction will make it run leaner. You might want to wait on the foam filter and not have to go through all this again.
If you get a chance to look at that link I sent you, it will explain what Lt. Granddad was getting at...in other words, different jets/settings affect different parts of the throttle.
Scroll down to the paragraph titled "Pilot System" and go from there.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Parks1181
If you saw my other posts I finally got the idle down, and jetting... or so I think! When I went for a test drive I gradually accelerated and I kept bogging out! In every gear.. but when I punched the gas it all the sudden pulled HARD. No power loss at all when hitting it wide open... what could I need to adjust on this, the valves? I’m new to 4strokes so I’m not too sure on what to do here...
okay so I took a good look at that link, now maybe I get the felling I’m moving a little too fast here... my #40 pilot jet SHOULD be ok right? When I start the bike I have to give it a little bit of throttle to get it to warm up for about a few mins, but after 2 or 3 minutes of me keeping it at a low rev, it will idle perfect on its own. I haven’t done a plug chop for the idling, so I’ll warm it up when I get home, take the plug out and put a new one in and see if it’s brown tan or white. Assuming I should take smaller steps and work a little slower then just throwing adjustments at it and wanting to ride it lol, but from the link I understand more now that everything is in sequence and work together from the pilot to the needle then to the main in terms of lower RPMS to higher RPMS. I would like to go do this today but I assume it’ll be smarter to wait for the foam filter when it hopefully gets here tomorrow

Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Parks1181

okay so I took a good look at that link, now maybe I get the felling I’m moving a little too fast here... my #40 pilot jet SHOULD be ok right? When I start the bike I have to give it a little bit of throttle to get it to warm up for about a few mins, but after 2 or 3 minutes of me keeping it at a low rev, it will idle perfect on its own. I haven’t done a plug chop for the idling, so I’ll warm it up when I get home, take the plug out and put a new one in and see if it’s brown tan or white. Assuming I should take smaller steps and work a little slower then just throwing adjustments at it and wanting to ride it lol, but from the link I understand more now that everything is in sequence and work together from the pilot to the needle then to the main in terms of lower RPMS to higher RPMS. I would like to go do this today but I assume it’ll be smarter to wait for the foam filter when it hopefully gets here tomorrow
also is it normal to have to rev a liftle
bit to get it warmed up? It’s around 30° here on Long Island New York if that makes a difference. But after it’s warmed up it’ll idle on its own power well

Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think giving it a little help while it's cold is that unusual (done with discretion0. You never want to rev an engine too high while it's cold.
I may have misspoken when I made that remark earlier about wasting your time if you're going to a foam filter. For some reason I assumed you were going back to the original configuration (air box and all). If you're just replacing the K&N with another aftermarket foam sock, it probably won't make that much difference.

Something I should have asked earlier. When you say it bogs in the midrange, are you meaning that when you roll it on from low to wide open there's a hesitation? Some 4 stroke carbs have an accelerator pump that squirts a little gas into the intake to compensate for the hesitation that is evidently inherent to 4 strokes. It's nothing more than a small diaphragm that will sometimes get hard from age/old gas (similar to my veins) and quit pumping. Don't know if it applies to your Honda but I had that problem on a Suzuki once.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Yoakum
I don't think giving it a little help while it's cold is that unusual (done with discretion0. You never want to rev an engine too high while it's cold.
I may have misspoken when I made that remark earlier about wasting your time if you're going to a foam filter. For some reason I assumed you were going back to the original configuration (air box and all). If you're just replacing the K&N with another aftermarket foam sock, it probably won't make that much difference.

Something I should have asked earlier. When you say it bogs in the midrange, are you meaning that when you roll it on from low to wide open there's a hesitation? Some 4 stroke carbs have an accelerator pump that squirts a little gas into the intake to compensate for the hesitation that is evidently inherent to 4 strokes. It's nothing more than a small diaphragm that will sometimes get hard from age/old gas (similar to my veins) and quit pumping. Don't know if it applies to your Honda but I had that problem on a Suzuki once.
so I went to a honda dealership and told them my situation, the mechanic recommended I ran a 150 or 152.. so I got the air filter today and put a 150 main instead of my 162 I had in previously, it made a very noticeable difference. But there is still some slight bogging, only in midrange now and not the top end or bottem end, so I warmed it up and took it for a spin, came back and pulled the plug (only rode about 15 min trying to stay in 3-4th gear for high rpms” and came back home and pulled the plug, it’s indicating that I’m running lean, so now my question is should I try moving the needle jet back down one position to enrichen a little bit? Or maybe try and go for a 155 main and see if that makes the difference..

Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

By "high rpm's", were you running it at the throttle setting that it bogs or wide open? If wide open and it looks lean, yes I'd step up to the next size main jet.
If you were at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, I'd give the needle another shot.

Sounds like you're getting close...

Quick Reply: Loosing power in mid-range only when gradually accelerating...