Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Gas dripping from vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas dripping from vent tube

Just bought a used 2007 Honda Recon 250. I rode it for a couple minutes when I first bought it and then put it in my garage. When I went back out into the garage I smelled gas and noticed it was dripping out of the vent tube. My brother is a diesel mechanic so asked for his advise. He told me to get new carb gasket, o-ring, and a new valve float. He took the carb apart and put in the new parts and cleaned it up a little. Looks like the previous owner ran ethanol free gas or ran it dry when storing it because the inside of the carb was super clean. I brought it home yesterday and put it back in the garage and noticed the same thing. Gas is still dripping from the vent tube. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Vent tube from gas tank cap or vent tube on carb??

Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Vent tube from gas tank cap or vent tube on carb??
From the carb

Old 02-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

If leaking from the carb then your float valve is not closing when the bowl is full. If you have a seperate fuel shutoff at the tank use it as a safety measure. The rubber on the seat can deteriorate and cause a leak or a tiny pc of crude is trapped in there. Just cleaning a carb rarely works, a complete carb kit and rebuils is always best. You should get a new valve and seat in the rebuild kit plus all the settings you will need. Cant have any type fuel leak, especially in a closed area...way to dangerous !!

Old 02-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
If leaking from the carb then your float valve is not closing when the bowl is full. If you have a seperate fuel shutoff at the tank use it as a safety measure. The rubber on the seat can deteriorate and cause a leak or a tiny pc of crude is trapped in there. Just cleaning a carb rarely works, a complete carb kit and rebuils is always best. You should get a new valve and seat in the rebuild kit plus all the settings you will need. Cant have any type fuel leak, especially in a closed area...way to dangerous !!
Thats the thing, we replaced the valve with the carb rebuild kit. And it’s still leaking. I guess it’s possible the new valve was bad but doubt it.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard of new ones leakin but not common. Did you replace the needle and the seat? Is the float set correctly? If all that is good, then there might be a small speck of crud trapped in there.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 320 Likes on 313 Posts

I get this problem a lot, it is dirt in the tank. You remove the tank to clean the carb on most Hondas, and this stirs up more dirt. Easy fix is to turn the tap off, run the bike until the engine stalls, when you open the tap, the resultant rush of fuel dislodges the dirt on the needle. If this doesn't work you have to clean it again by removal. If the problem persists, fit an in line filter. However, the paper element type vapour lock if they have run dry, so won't let fuel through again easily if you run out and go onto reserve.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m still a noob so I appreciate all the ideas and tips. I’ll mess with it this weekend and see what happens.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Country Rider

Hey my brother has actually been having the same problem on his honda 400ex. He dosent like fixing things so its been my job. I took it off, cleaned it, and replaced a couple gaskets but it still leaked. I took it back off, did a full rebuild and it still leaked. The rebuild solved the porblem that you're talking about. However mine was leaking from another place too that I never got fixed so we ended up buying a new carb i'll put in this weekend.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by YamahaMoto
Hey my brother has actually been having the same problem on his honda 400ex. He dosent like fixing things so its been my job. I took it off, cleaned it, and replaced a couple gaskets but it still leaked. I took it back off, did a full rebuild and it still leaked. The rebuild solved the porblem that you're talking about. However mine was leaking from another place too that I never got fixed so we ended up buying a new carb i'll put in this weekend.
looking like I’ll be doing that soon. Will the carb need to be rejeted or not? I was told I shouldn’t have to do this but making sure.

Quick Reply: Gas dripping from vent tube