Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bought new Rancher, need Latches

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought new Rancher, need Latches

Hey guys,

New Here...I bought a TRX420FA6 last night, and its the new 2020 model with the pro connect system on the racks. I also bought a weekender rear trunk/seat for it that I'll probably need to return...

2 questions, does anyone know where you can buy the lpro connect latches from as a standalone item? I googled a bit and didnt find anything. What I would like to do is put the quick connect latches in the bottom of one of these rear trunks instead of using u-bolts.

and that leads me to my second question, the quadboss weekender trunk I bought is just about an inch to narrow to reach the front latch points. its 42 inches wide at its widest point but has a pretty steep taper on the sides down to the bottom which makes it just a little too narrow. It also doesn't have waterproof seals, and the closure latches are just pieces of nylon stretch cord. Seems a little cheap to me for over $300. Does anyone know where i might find a "better" box in general, that is also wide enough to span distance to use the pro connect?

here is a link to that trunk for reference. https://quadboss.com/products/luggage/weekender-trunk

Thanks for reading and your suggestions!

Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Bought my storage box at Wally World, contico is the brand, pretty heavy duty in my opinion, mine has a long piano hinge and metal latches as well as a set of loops for a padlock. Lid does not have a gasket but has a recess lip, never had anything wer inside and it has been thru some serious rain. Been used hard and abused and still works perfect. Less than 30 bucks!! About 40" long, 13" high, about 20+"wide.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that one have a passenger seat built in?

Old 02-14-2020, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No, just a cargo box. In my state and those around me do not allow 2up riding unless the machine is made that way from the factory. Adding a seat back for a passenger is illegal in many states, and it is really unsafe unless your going straight on level ground...any hills can cause serious handling issues.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

I didn't know about the pro-connect system, though had noticed racks with sheet metal plates had appeared on new Hondas. Watching the video, it looks like the "official" top boxes have been made to fit Honda racks rather than anything special about the racks themselves. I wouldn't have thought any accessory maker is going to limit their market by fitting the pro-connect to their racks, as they want them to go on as many different makes as possible. A lot of top boxes don't have a seal, as long as the lid goes well down over the outside of the box part, rain shouldn't get in.