Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Strange metal ring inside swing arm/drive shaft. Rancher 350.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange metal ring inside swing arm/drive shaft. Rancher 350.

Hi, folks.

I thought that I had registered here previously but, if so, can't retrieve my login info.

Anyway, I have a 2004 Rancher 350 with only 1250 miles that I bought last summer.

Over the winter, I noticed that the drive shaft boot was torn the recoil starter was locked up.

After ordering the parts and locknut tool, today I removed the rear swing arm. There were a couple of helpful Youtube videos and I was able to pull the repairs, including near rear crankshaft and output seals without any difficulty.

However, as I went to reassemble the rear drive shaft in preparation for reinstalling the swing arm, I noticed this loose metal ring inside the differential side of the swing arm. Three pics attached.

I can't find anything like it in the parts diagrams for the differential or swing arm. I don't know what it is.

At first I thought it might be the metal part of a seal that had worn off. But it's smooth and there are no leaks from the diff into the swing arm. The seal at the far end looks intact.

I can't seem to finagle it back onto anything in the diff.

On a hunch, I installed the driveshaft and wiggled the mysterious ring into place. It reaches near the end of the swingarm and then seems to hold fast.

I was thinking that perhaps it could be something used in assembly to hold the driveshaft in place while the factory tech marries the swingarm to the the rest of the ATV or maybe it prevents severe driveline angles.

But I could be totally off base.

Does anyone know what it is or where it goes?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2020, 04:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

It is a metal part of the seal. Aftermarket seals often don't have it. I assume it is to stiffen the seal near where the shaft runs. They often drop off onto the shaft, and leaving it off doesn't make much difference.