Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how do you set a tire bead

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we got tsls and the old rims were leaking. so i got itp steel wheels. all i want to know is how do you set the bead....it says on them 15psi to set bead on them.....not sure how though...

thanks

Old 05-08-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

You might need to put a rachet tie-down around the tire, crank it down as much as you can, then give it air 'till it pops. This works great, I've done it out on the trails when I had to set a bead.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

what do you mean by it pops

Old 05-09-2001, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

it means keep your fingers and toes or anything else that is valuable to you away from the bead of the tire and rim.the tire pops on bead when pressurized by the air you put in..........

Old 05-09-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

you'll know when it does.. it "pops" thats the best way to describe it... Just inflate that sucker (do not go above the limit on the tire) Mabe try beating on it a little while its inflated...?

Old 05-10-2001, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

hmm.....latest trick i found was

sally's liquid nails.....sets the beads good

.......no more leaks.......friends help me set some turf tamers on some 8 inch alloy itp's

with them.......works great

Old 05-10-2001, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

We always used ether, but that method is extremely dangerous and could cause serious accidents, especially if have the tire serviced later and the technician is unaware of the ether. We've blown the bead of older tires completly away from the rest of the tire using this method. i'm just telling you this so you won't use this method, sooner ot later somebody will suggest it and you could possibly get hurt. A tire shop can seat the bead for a few bucks...

Old 05-10-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

I was having a terrible time trying to seat the MX holeshots on my rims the other day. Here is how I finally did it.

First thing, remove the valve stem core! Not the entire valve stem just the little core inside. For a few bucks, you can pick up at any local autoparts store.

Once the valve stem core is removed, take a strap and securely wrap it around the center of the tire. Pull it as tight as you can. Since you removed the stem core, the tire will really compress.

Grab the can of WD40 and spray liberally around the bead and the rim itself.

Now take your air supply and place it on the valve stem, with the core still removed. This will allow a higher rate of air flow into the tire. Plus if you overfill the tire, once you remove the air flow, the extra will rush right out.

With the strap on, bead soaked in WD40 and core removed the bead should pop right on.

A few things to note:

Make sure nothing is in between the bead and the rim. When it pops, it really pops.
Do not over tighten the valve stem core when re inserting. Or else you may have to break it down again.
Make sure the rim is clean before mounting the tire. Enough dirt will get in there, no need to add extra in the beginning.
And be careful with the strap. If you use a low quality strap the pressure of the tire may break the strap. So point it away from people.