Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

The 250r shock bolt in conversion didn't work so well.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got all 4 brackets made.I bolted up the stock 250r shocks.And took them for a little test spin.

I did about 10 laps on our mx track.Thre are only 2 jumps so far.But the is one that is pretty hard on the suspension.After 4 or 5 laps of hitting that jump I went up to the garage to see how they did.

I think I bent the stock shocks!Either that or I bent the brackets to heck.I am not sure i am going to take it apart and see.I know I bent one of the brackets for sure.

The shocks did excellent.Alot smoother ride and no BOTTOMING!I always bottomed the stock shocks these didn't.I really wish they hadn't bent.I am going to get some thicker steel make some better brackets and then see how it goes.

If it doesn't work I am getting some works daul rates with no cans.

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex

Old 05-11-2001, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

When you say brackets are you talking about lowering brackets or what?

Old 05-11-2001, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Well yes they are like them.Except I made them.The raise the shocks towers about 3 inches.So if U had the stock shocks on they would lower the bike.I broke both stock front shocks and am a little short on cash flow.I have some stock 250r shocks and Am trying to adapt them to the 300ex without any type of frame altercation's.

If I could work all the bugs out I feel this will be a pretty nice setup.The shocks really make it handle well and it jumps like a dream.I just got done making 2 new brackets.I am going to double them up to see if that works.So there will be 4 on one side.2 Bolted to each side of the stock shock tower.I hope this will strenghten them up.

Also the stock shock are not bent.It was pushing the spring sideways making it appear to be so.

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex

Old 05-11-2001, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

Does your brackets have an angle in them or are they straight?

If there straight, it will bend the shocks. They must have an angle to them to keep the shocks out of a bind.

Also you might want to think twice about using lowering brackets. Honda did there work with frame geomentry and they have the shocks mounted were there at for a reason. It's a good idea to keep them there probably.

Old 05-11-2001, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

They are like and L.Only backward with another line.I got them to work.the shocks where not bent.

I made some new stronger brackets and put them on.I Went and tested them.I came back with the same result.THe brackets where pushed inward.

I got to thinking and came up with a solution.I then cut a piece of angle iron to the proper lenght.Then I drilled the holes.I had to cut a peic of the angle of in the center to clear the fender mounts/supports.I bolts it all back up and gve her another run.I rode some wheelie's and jumped a new jump.I pulled back into the shed.

The same result.the angle iron was bent inward where I had cut the angle off and the shock mounts where pushed in.I knew I was heading the right direction.

I got the peice I cut and and welded it back in.Only upwars more.I did this so it would strenghten the iron back up and still have clearance for the fender supports/mounts.

I bolted it all back togother and gave her a test run.IT WORKED!I rode some wheelie's slammed down as hard as I could.Hit a jump and pulled it back in the garage.Everything was fine.I then took it to a big jump.I came back and she was still fine.

I will get some pics to explain it better.

Now if I could just get the front fenders back on!
Honda really doesn't like me.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

I've got one question? Will the 250r shocks just bolt up to the ex's a arms and shock mount without the brackets?

Old 05-11-2001, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

No they won't just bolt up.The 250r shock is 17 1/4 inches will the 300ex shock is 14 and something inches.

Man this setup is great.I have been ridin ever since my last post.I got the front fenders on.And took off.I have been steady jumpin and wheeliing trying to get it to break.All that happens is I get happier.The shocks are plush yet don't bottom.They are great.I highly recomend this mod to any one wanting to up grade their 300ex's handling.For not a bunch of money.

I know this sounds like it is rigged up but it is not.My dad took a look at it and even he approves.Which is rare.I will get some pics soon.

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex

Old 05-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not talking about the length I mean will the top end of the shock fit inside the mounting bracket or is it to wide?

Old 05-11-2001, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

yes they fit inside.

Old 05-11-2001, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried it without the brackets? How was it?

Quick Reply: The 250r shock bolt in conversion didn't work so well.