Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question...What to do when on a hill climb and the bike stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is great, so many different ways, and points of view. i have a 91 250X, and i was just wondering what you when it happens to you, cause i went riding a for a little last night and i went up a hill and lost traction and got stuck, and started to back down and my back tire got caught on a rock and it turned me around and it happened...it rolled, only once and didn't even do any damage!!! god bless honda's!!

now i have some homework to do, and try some of these new techniques!!!

thanks everyone!

Old 05-15-2001, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I guess everybody has their own idea of what a "steep" hill is. On what I call steep the only safe & sane option is to stay on the quad, and back down SLOWLY. If it is steep you will have no choice but to use both the front and rear brakes and keep your weight forward. If you can go down with just the front brakes then the hill isn't steep to start with. If you can jump off and grab the front brakes and grab bar then the hill isn't steep. If you can jump off and turn the quad around without it tumbling down the hill then the hill isn't steep. If the hill isn't steep as described above, the best thing is STILL to back down SLOWLY.

Hey, I have to back down hills a lot so I've done this before. Try backing down ChokeCherry at St. Anthony from about 90% of the way to the top. I'm better at backing down than climbing up I guess.

If you have room, a quick U-turn at the top is a great preventative measure.

Old 05-16-2001, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

In my opinion this is the best way. I have never seen this done untill my friend took my 400 up a sand hill and it had too much air in the tires so he dug him self holes... so his friend drives up right niext to him and digs him self some ruts puts the e-brake on and holds the grab bar and drags it down the hill. i really think that is the best way.

Old 05-16-2001, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just started riding about a month ago and this past weekend me and two of my friends went to the badlands and we found these hills, my problem is cresting over the top, i have not been able to make the crest without falling off and shooting the quad into the air, i imagine i am giving it to much throttle, but if anyone has any tips i would much appreciate it

Old 05-16-2001, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

how do you get over the crest when relatively steep at the top

Old 05-16-2001, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

WyoRider, Just a post nothing personall but there is no way you or anyone could back down the hills we climb! Some of the hills you must have spotters or the quad is gone no matter what you do! I wouldnt reccomend anyone try backing down any hill that is steep at all unless they have a good bit of expierance you must consider that probably 70% of the people in here while they love the sport and like to ride dont and wouldnt even consider trying the hills I'm talking about let along be able to back down them. I just dont wanna see anyone get hurt from trying your technique because as you stated your self your better at backing down the hill than you are at going up. Just everyone be carefull when riding and expecially hill climbing!

Old 05-16-2001, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

extreme165, no problem nothing personal taken just sharing ideas. Well, like I said everybody has their own idea of what a "Steep" hill is. My point is that if a hill is really that steep then how in the world are you supposed to get off the quad to hold the front brake and front grab bar to walk the quad down the hill or flip it around without it rolling once you are sidehilled?

How do you get down if you can't make it up?

Like you said, be careful when hill climbing!!!

Old 05-16-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

WyoRider,
You have to get off quad right before it comes to a stop. I ride a 250r now and it will sit on just about any hill, my raptor wouldnt sit sidways on alot of the hills we climb this is one of the reasons I am getting rid of it. As you probably know the banshee will take off backwords because it doesnt have enough comp while in gear to stay on hill because of it being dual cylinders. My buddy had a shee and he was always chasing it down the steep hills because it would take off where as the R will sit and stay. On the really steep hills we have spotters hanging off of trees and etc.. to help if not successfull in making hill. All this talk about climbing, I think I will go out and ride my quad tonight. I was going to go and pound some laps on my bike but I feel like riding the quad now.

Old 05-16-2001, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

as soon as your front wheels clear the crest let off the gas.

Old 05-16-2001, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

I've had two bad accidents and both were hill climbs.... and all I can say is the front brakes do nothing... I distinctly remember pulling my front brakes and watching them lock-up and slide down the hill. Front brakes offer no stopping power on an uphill climb... However, I've found the back brake to be the most powerful- It will stop and hold me dead in my tracks. It's the same situation when you are going downhill. Front brakes all the way- but if you use rear... they lock up and slide- and do nothing for the bike.

Can anyone explain why they think the front brakes work? I've tried- and failed miserably both times.

Quick Reply: Question...What to do when on a hill climb and the bike stops