Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 02:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhh, so this is what it is like to be full of it. Not too bad, i must say. I'll present my childish come-backs now...

Rampage you are full of it! who do you know that doesnt drag race there quad at some point with ther buddies? If I wanted to win drag races, I would have gotten a banshee The 16 sprocket will make it fly! And bottom end isnt hurt that bad like you say. I've tried the higher gearing, and as I said, it's not for everyone, me included I have two 400exs now with the 16 on it. Yes if you are going to do NOTHING but run around a damn track its not for you but for the weekend rider who wants to smoke a Stock Banshee(ive had 10) 10 Banshees? I'm not calling you a liar, but...I can't think of anyway to end this sentance but no more, White Bothers E, Dynojet&k&n,and the sprocket is AWESOME! And the sprocket does the most for 30 bucks! Take a stock 400ex with the 16 sprocket and run a piped and jetted one with a 15 sprocket and after third gear its goodbye. I have done it over and over. All everyone on here ever wants to know is how fast is it? whats the top speed? Not everyone

THATS WHY THE SPROCKET IS THE BADDEST THING AND CHEAPEST TO PUT YOUR *** FLYING! PEOPLE TRY IT! YOU WILL NOT NEED TO SPEND $500 ON A PIPE THAT YOU CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE,BEEN THERE,DONE THAT.
AND FORGET ABOUT A HEADER PIPE ON A STOCK 400EX,IT WILL NOT HELP,SLIP ON A WHITE BROTHERS. READ THE DIRT WHEELS ARTICLES! You shouldn't believe everything you read

Old 05-17-2001, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

i just drilled out my end baffle and rejetted. i also cut the stock spark arrestor off and made the end cap the same size as the large diameter of the end cap. i then put the spark arrestor back on with some welding and braces. it sounds great and tons way more power!! great mod!!

Old 05-17-2001, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Tell me more about how to drill out the end piece. What size hole do I need to make it, how many, and in what location compared to the hole already in there?

Old 05-18-2001, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

if you take off the end cap you will see a baffle with a hole on the right hand side. i took the longest drill bit i had (wich wa slike 1/2'' i think) and drilled as many as i could with out taking too much material out. i also had to make a pilot hole with about a 3/16"bit. then i took the smaller bit and made as many holes as i could with that around the bigger holes. i found i dulled bits really quick so i be ready to resharpen bits!! this is how i did maybe it isnt the best but it seemed to work. make sure you modilfy the end cap that has a lot of restriction.

Old 05-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Gabe

I checked my throttle cable at the throttle housing and it is adjusted all the way in. Can you provide instructions on how to properly adjust it? I plan on buying the service manual, just haven't got to the dealer to buy one yet. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 05-18-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 14 tooth sprocket on my 400EX and I love it for the dunes. It really helps a lot when you run paddle tires. Last time I was at Silver Lake I raced around with some guy who had a 400EX with a 16 tooth sprocket, full FMF "power bomb" pipe and silencer, stock cam, stock CDI and Sand Skate II's - and I beat him easily for top speed. My mods were: 10.6:1 406, HRC cam, stock header w/ e-series, xr250 CDI, K&N, FCR carb, 14 tooth sprocket, 8 paddle Haulers. I talked with the guy for a while and learned that he normally had his quad set up for flat track racing but had taken off the anti-sway bar and put paddles on for the dunes. He said after a few laps that the 16 tooth was just too much gear to pull in the sand. He couldn't even keep up with me when we were blasting down the shoreline of the lake - and that area is flat and relatively firm sand. I was running a stock header at the time and it really restricted the top end on my machine. Now I have a full WhiteBros pipe and I'm bringing it to Silver Lake tomorrow - forecast says sunny and 75!

Old 05-20-2001, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for the late reply. My "e-mail notification" didn't work & I actually got a reply that was supposed to go to someone else (they probably got mine). Strange stuff...

Anyway....

The way I like to do it is, pull the rubber boot off at the back of the carb that connects it to the airbox. This will allow you to see into the carb.

When looking into the carb, you'll see that the slide is not completely disappearing and the butterfly in front of it is not going completely horizontal upon full throttle. You can feel how much further the slide can go up by raising it the rest of the way with your finger.

You need to adjust the adjuster on the thumb throttle housing until the slide completely disappears on full throttle. This is usually about 5 threads.

After performing the adjustment and verifying that the throttle is then opening all the way, put the boot back on the carb, start the quad and turn the handlebars both directions to make sure the idle doesn't raise.

Then go out and enjoy your new found HP....

Old 05-20-2001, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

sorry i dont have any pics! but i will see if i can get some. it looks bad as far as the welds but it is really thing screen and nobody can see it anyways.

Old 05-20-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Gabe. I have noticed that sometimes you get an email notification, sometimes you don't. One of lifes mysteries.

Quick Reply: inexpensive 400EX mods & tune-up tips for trail riding