Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon...not enough power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001 | 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Did I say that it didnt? Read all the posts...I never said that. I have yet to see a stock quad that has enough power that you can put on 28s and not feel a powerloss. Yes even the all mighty sp500ho loses power when you put on 28s.

Old 05-25-2001 | 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

You mean the curse of having the best ride available? Or the curse of being the best mudder? Or maybe you are talking about the curse of having the most power, or being the fastest utility?

Yeah, you're right, that would suck being so cursed.

Old 05-25-2001 | 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

the SP500 is not even close to any of those ne more. that kawasaki is somthin else. But i do wish it did have independant rear suspension.

Old 05-25-2001 | 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

the SP500 is not even close to any of those ne more. that kawasaki is somthin else. But i do wish it did have independant rear suspension.

Old 05-25-2001 | 01:56 PM
Range Rover

I also noticed that my Rubicon did not downshift during an atv pull as the weight transfered up on the sled causing the machine to bog down prematurely. I did find quite a bit of slack in my throttle and took it out and yes, it did make an improvement in the performance. I have not tried to pull it since, but perhaps that will make a difference. Compared to a 500Sp though, last fall I drag raced a 2000 with clutch mods and a Super-Trapp pipe and beat the guy 7 out of 7 times. The owner of the 500SP was surprised with the outcome.

Old 05-25-2001 | 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

TheQuadfather, forget it your not even worth the hassle.

FOURYOUNGS, I was in an ATV pull with my Rubicon and outpulled the competition by a number of feet. I think the joker bashing on here knows what the competition was . I did it in auto while in low. Had no problems what so ever and it was a progressive sled.

Old 05-25-2001 | 05:18 PM
Range Rover

TexMud, I would like to try the Rubicon in a sled pull again since the slack has been taken out of the throttle cable. It does make a difference. From 0-30 mph the Ruby rocks for a utility machine! Nice web-site too.

Old 05-25-2001 | 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

That's just one of the things thats better about belt-trannies. When the tires slow down, the force of it pulls on the belt, which slows that down, and in turn, causes the driven clutch to close up, and the drive clutch to open up: backshifting. Hit the throttle, and you've got power and a lower gear ratio. I would much rather backshift because physics cause the transmission to backshift, as opposed to a sensor telling the transmission to backshift...
I'm not saying the Rubicon isn't a great ATV, as I'm sure it is (I'd REALLY like to drive one, and certainly wouldn't mind owning one), but Honda is trying to emulate real-life physics with a computer hooked to some sensors, and its just not as good.

Old 05-25-2001 | 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Campy, maybe this is his problem. Maybe he is not letting off the gas. I have no clue if I do but again I do not have this problem.

Old 05-26-2001 | 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't ridden a Rubicon yet (nice looking quad), but I have ridden a Grizzly and I just got to try out the Kawasaki 650 V twin. It is no comparison to a Grizzly. It is very impressive. It has the instant throttle response that I'm told the Rubicon has and it really pulls! I was very impressed. If there is a utility quad that is as quick as the 650, I'm guessing that it would have to be modded. I don't know what the top speed is because I just rode it in the dealer's building area, but I'm told that it is well over 60 mph.. Maybe from 0-30 mph the Rubicon would be close. I hope I can try one soon. It would have to be a lot faster than a Grizzly to compare though. The Quadfather may be right about the Sportsman H.O. still having the most comfortable ride, but as far as best mudder, most power and speed goes, I think Polaris will have to up the cc's to get those honors back with a stock ATV. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the others pulling a sled etc.. Will there ever be enough power to please everyone---I doubt it!

Quick Reply: Rubicon...not enough power!