Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help adding winch to new Rubi

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some advice on adding a winch to my new Rubicon. I am thinking the Warn winches are the way to go, but not sure about the A2000 or the A2500. Where is the best place to purchase these (is there a place on line with reliable service, decent prices, etc.) If I go with the 2500 lb winch, what is your experience in mounting the heavy duty contactor, where is the best place to mount it on the Rubi? Are there any glitches or tricks in mounting these to the Rubi front end? If anyone has pictures, it would be great! Thanks as always for your help, you guys (& gals) have been great with advice & suggestions, I really like the forum.

Old 05-22-2001, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

rdarins, I have been helping my brother source the same items for his new Rubicon and I have a couple sites that might help you. try--www.reddingco.com
That is for Ivy Redding down in Louisiana. They have a fairly heavy duty looking bumper for the Ruby and they also carry the warn winches and also the Rule winches. The lady who answers the phone is very nice and patient with people asking a lot of questions-I should know! Good luck.

Old 05-22-2001, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I installed a Warn 2500 # on mine. I installed the solenoid in my tool box. A dealer told me they install them in the air box, which I didn't like the thought of.
You have to buy a mount kit which is fairley easy to install. I bought mine locally but Rocky Mountain Atv had a better price about 2 weeks later....
Good luck

Old 05-23-2001, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hope I didn't screw up, but I made a mounting plate for mine and mounted it under the right rear fender up high on the frame. I didn't want to use up all my toolbox with the thinig and I didn't think about in the air box. Is there a reason that it shouldn't be out in the elements?

Old 05-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't think the elements would bother it. The instructions say to mount it on top of the tool box, but the ECM resides there. I might silicon the conections.

Old 05-23-2001, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I mounted mine outside the trunk on the left, up as high as it will go. It's water-proof, so being exposed to the elements won't hurt it. I put some di-lectric grease on all the connections just to prevent corrosion.

Old 05-26-2001, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does warn have any different mounting kit for the 2500. I bought the 2500 and the thing hangs out to far and i bent the bracket so the fairlead is pointed straight down towards the ground but the winch is still straight.... i have never used my winch...

Old 05-27-2001, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

What did you use for a mounting kit?

Old 05-29-2001, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the Rubicon mounting bracket from Warn. Everything mounts behind the factory bumper. The fairlead does extend some past the bumper, but not to far.

Old 06-05-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I mounted the solenoid in the heavy plastic (on the left side, just below the seat) just in front of the air box, but inside the area covered by the seat. COuldn't bring myself to cut the airbox, and possibly let water get in there. No problems, and have used it to pull out lot's of bikes (including mine)....

Quick Reply: Need help adding winch to new Rubi