Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda odyssey 250 engine. i need one

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm looking for a cheap odyssey 250cc engine that is in decent shape. i would like it to be between 1977 or 1980 unless you have a coil for the engine to. anyway, here is the reason i need a new engine. the previous owner rebuilt the top end, then he decided to rebuild the bottom end. he didn't have a puller to pull of the magneto so he used a HAMMER! he bent the crank then told me it ran fine. i went home, started it up and drove around. it ran like Sh*t. it sputtered and would not go over 5 mph. i bought a total of about 300 dollars worth of stuff until i decided to take apart the engine. i noticed there were hammer marks on the magneto. i took the magneto off and turned the engine over. the crank was bent to hell. the inner part of the magneto was all scratched up with big long grooves all the way around. the top end has been ported and polished and has a new piston and has been re-bored. so if you just have the bottom part of the engine or just the crank or magneto and you would like to sell at a fair price, email me. thankz

Old 05-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

I cant help you, but.. why didnt you start the motor before you bought it?

Old 05-23-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

the ody only cost 200 bucks and i was in a hurry. i do feel like a dumbass for not starting it though. the guy said that the whole engine was rebuilt so i figured it was in good shape. He said that the only reason he didn't drive it anymore was because he started to race dirtbikes and gave up driving the ody because it was not as fun as a 250 dirtbike. the engine on the ody was rebuilt. it has a fresh rebuilt top end and new bearings and everything on the bottom. all i need is the crank and magneto, but i figure i'll have to buy the whole engine. and by the way, if you have an engine my email address is aforce1jp@hotmail.com. thankz

Old 05-25-2001, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

Wish I had seen this earlier. About 3 years ago I traded a Kawasaki Bayou to two oddyseys. One in perfect running condition, and the other in a couple of pieces. The one in pieces had been wrecked, and someone took the motor off for who knows what reason. Anyways I got that motor in the trade, and since I haven't had an odyssey in about two years I wound up just throwing that engine away at a county clean-up. Couldn't give the stupid thing away and now here is someone wanting it.

If you still need it I could look around at a couple of junk yard places here and see if they have a crank and magneto. I would imagine that those would be hard to find for an odyssey, but I could always look. Parts are dirt cheap around here too so just tell me if you want me to look aorund.

Old 05-26-2001, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

if you sure it is no bother, will you look around for an engine for me in your spare time or when you are bored. thank you alot

Old 05-26-2001, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

do any other honda engines work?

Old 05-27-2001, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

does anyone know if the engine out of a honda FL350 odyssey will work without very many modifications in the fl250 odyssey?

Old 05-27-2001, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

do any old atc engines work?

Old 05-27-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

i don't think any other engine would work without ALOT of modifications since the ody has an auto tranny and the others have geared trannys. you would need to replace the rear pulley with a gear and make some mods to make the sprocket from the engine lign up with the other sprocket.

Old 05-28-2001, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

a old snowmobile engine may work

Quick Reply: Honda odyssey 250 engine. i need one