Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Plowing with a Foreman

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 Foreman 450es and am planning on buying a plow for it (snow). How do these plow snow? Here in Maine we get a lot of heavy wet snow. My driveway is only about 50' long and I really do not want to put a $3000 plow on my new Z71.

Comments please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2001, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

I live in MN and we too get alot of snow. I would highly recomend getting a plow. I have a Rubicon and am able to push very heavy snow. We had a heavy snow fall that took me 15 min to clear while the neighbor spend 2 hours doing his driveway with a snowblower. You may consider getting a winch too. It makes plowing easier then using the hand lift system provided with your plow. My blade is 60" and I can push very deep snow with it.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a plow on my Ruby and you can't believe how much snow you can push with a quad. Before I got mine I had people tell me how much snow they can push and how high they can pile the snow I said no way. But its true, and it also makes it fun to do. I have a Cycle Country plow and they offer an electric lift option which makes it alot easier.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

I agree fully with these guys, I have a Ruby with a 60" blade and it moves some serious snow. The year before I had a 2000 Foreman 450s which I also used to plow snow and it did awesome as well. If you are like me you'll be asking the neighbors if they want their driveways plowed because it's easy and fun. I have the Cycle Country blade but with the manual lift it can get tiresome lifting the blade all the time but I'm young yet and didn't find it unbearable although the electric lift would be nice to have.

Old 06-03-2001, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer

I too have a 2000 450ES and have a 60" Moose County Plow (don't get anything smaller unless you plan on doing a lot of sidewalks)and use a winch to raise and lower the blade. You can't go wrong with this set up. What used to take 2 guys 6-10 hours (depending on accumulation) cleaning with shovel now is completed in about an hour with the ATV. The drive that I'm cleaning is about 300 feet. There is a huge fun factor as well. You'll be amazed at how effortlessly the machine moves snow. Go for it!! You won't regret it for a second. I look forward to big snow fall in the winter..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good luck.

Old 06-04-2001, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input guys. I did buy that 5' County Plow. Kinda anxious for snow! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I plan on using my winch, will that wear down the battery??

Mike

Old 06-05-2001, 05:10 AM
Trailblazer

I've not had any trouble with my battery getting worn down.The winch is not constantly in use while plowing and if it were, as long as your engine is running, I don't think it would be an issue still.You'll just be frequently taking out a bit and taking in a bit of cable to raise/lower the blade.. From my experience, I've used the winch for short periods at a time.Longest may have been a few minutes when I was pulling myself up a very steep unstable incline but my engine was running as well. Battery still strong. Even after sitting in storage for a few months at a time.

Old 06-06-2001, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 50" Moose blade on my 450ES, and it worked very well. The only regret I have, especially now that I traded for a Rubicon, is not going with the 60". I think it would have easily handled the extra width. One thing you may want to consider...replacing the winch cable with a shorter length of cable. The constant raising and lowering of the blade puts extra wear and tear on the last few feet of your winch cable. If you pull it off, and replace it with a shorter sacrificial piece, your long cable will be in tact and ready for when you really do need it.

As for your battery...it shouldn't wear it down much, if at all. I would suggest getting a Battery Tender. This will keep your battery charged, and ready for "battle". Good luck.

Old 06-06-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ive had my 60 inch cycle country blade since 1987 when I first had it on my trailboss 4x4,since then its been on 4 different atvs.The last 2 winters its been on my 450es and it works great.I hope it works even better this year when I put it on my Rubicon.Also I have not had any problems with my winch running the battery down.