Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dirtwheels shootout is out! 400EX: Cannondale: Raptor: Banshee: DS650!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 04:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK this really pisses me off when the 400ex First came out it was the best quad ever to some people and nobody would shut up about how much they loved it and wanted one . but now when something BIGGER comes out it is now the best thing and the honda is tossed aside like a broken toy ! well the part that really gets me is your putting an 400cc from 98' against 660cc 650cc and totaly completely tricked out 400cc machines with newer technology . And you guys are amazed by the speed of the newer machines over the 400. Obviously the bigger more powerful engine has more power to pull higher gears ! thats like comparing a stock 350 to a 502 obviously the 502 has tons more power and is going to be able to pull higher gears . Nobody mentions that the craptor isnt that reliable or that the ds650 is too wide to trail ride or the raptor is too skinny or that if that computer screws up on the cannondale then i hope you have deep pockets ! instead everyone wines about the week clutch on the 400 . I go to the atv races and who do you think leads the pack? the 400ex kill the raptors on the track and just about every other quad . And you all praise the DS650 and the craptor and cannondale BUT havent you noticed the big price tag difference betwen those quads and the 400EX ? there is a saying you get waht you pay for and thats usually true except with the raptor . but the raptor will do great in a drag but it is too tall and skinny to do much else . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

What the ____????? Whoa....slow down there, bobcat! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am not ******* on 400's! I love my 400! It's an awesome bike! I wash, coddle, touch, and talk to my bike every day! I am sure many of us our happy with our rides, as different as they are! It's just human nature to want more! To always be on the lookout for what's new, to stay with the competition. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, depending on how you handle it.

To be close-minded and refuse to acknowledge other good technology just because I own a particular brand and model of bike is not the way I choose to be. But it doesn't mean that I don't like what I have. The 400EX is an awesome bike - a true classic.

Corry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget, the EX was the catalyst that made possible and even necessary the raptor and cannondale (they had to compete). Serious sport quaddin' was comatose until then. That's the nature of technology-what is new and improved today is old news tomorrow, when somebody ups the ante. That is a good thing, 'else we'd all be riding 185s with no rear suspension. Honda is as innovative as any manufacturer, but more conservative in introducing new technology. I think that's because they are protecting their excellent reputation for reliability and quality. The 1st year DS 650s sucked in carburation and a dozen other areas, because they went into production without being debugged. A new Honda model comes out only when it meets Honda standards, like the new 250, which is a winner in its niche. When Honda goes big on the sport quad platform, it will be worth the wait, and I might be able to pick up a used 400 for cheap because you'll all be upgrading. I'm hoping when I put the unlocking front drive shaft on my Foreman 450, it will MX better than an EX. Yeah, right!

Old 06-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

While the DS had some carb problems (bogging after a jump the first year) what other "dozen" problems was there? Besides maybe the chain roller?

Old 06-09-2001, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

Hey GRASSHOPER who you callin bobcat ? ANd did i ever say i refuse to know that craptors are faster then 400EX ? NO I didnt think so and i dont know what yuor talkin bout with the technology of the craptor all it is is a poorly designed frame with a big motor . any fool can produce that kind of quad but honda focuses on a small thing i call HANDLEING they atv's arent to skinny to turn like the raptor and its not a huge tank like the DS . i think when they made the raptor it started off as a dirtbike then they added a couple more wheels and called it a quad >. and GRASSHOPER if you dont like my opinion dont read it ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2001, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

How is the 400EX not a real sport quad?
Its not underpowered. At all.
Its probably the best handling quad right now.
The best motoX quad.
easily the best built and most reliable.

How is it that you dog the 400? Its such an awsome quad, and keep in mind that its competing with 600+ CC machines!

gees people, get a life. why do some people make suck a$$hole comments sometimes.

Old 06-09-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

OK. Zeebo, I wasn't trying to be rude. "Settle down bobcat" is a pet phrase that one of my friends always says to me - it wasn't meant to be offensive - just fun. I like reading everyone's opinions, including yours.

Corry

Old 06-09-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Okay everybody settle down....This is a Honda Forum, and yes, we sing the praises of the 400 EX, second place in the great Dirtwheels shoot-out, Dawn of the New Age of Sport Quads, a leader in a sea of wanna-bes.....But the ANTE has been UPPED. Little things like water-cooling,,,4 and 5 valve heads, DOHC, reverse, EFI, aluminum frame, and still the 400 EX nearly prevailed. Impressive.

But I find it particularly unattractive, and immature, when someone has to put down someone or something else to build themselves or their quad up. The DS may be a little big for tight woods, and the Raptor does need a wider axle, But is there a serious Honda out there without wider A-arms and axle? I think not. Oh sure, lots of 400EX's and Raptors race with stock A-arms and axles and shocks, but they all WANT A-arms, axles and shocks!! The DS only needs upper A-arms and shocks, so it's kinda half way there. Face it, they all need a lot of goodies to make 'em right. And these are all good quads, they all have strong points, and weak points.

I think it is much more fair,, and interesting,,, and credible,, to talk about what you own, and what you ride,,, and talk about what you know, than it is to BASH. 'Cause for the most part, bashers don't know what the F**K they are talking about.

I can't wait to see what is up Honda's sleeve, you know they have something coming out soon. IT will be HOT! And that is great. More good quads is just that much better for all of us. And as these new models get dialed in by the manufacturers and then by us it just gets that much better. More power, better suspension and handling, lighter weight, better reliability. I want it all, and more.

Old 06-09-2001, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Don't apologize to Zeebo. Everyone knows what context u said that bobcat phrase in, he's obviously just got some built up anger about something (having a 400EX). If he was totally happy with his machine he wouldn't be angry and bash all the others. Everyone knows that neither the DS or Raptor are trash. And saying that the Raptor is a poorly designed frame with a big engine shows his ignorance. Also the DS is heavy, but it gets the job done where it is supposed to. The 400EX is also a great machine, and there's nothing about it to knock. However, what he doesn't understand is that if the Raptor is a big engine in a poorly designed frame as the 400EX is a poorly designed engine in a well designed frame. Don't let him get under your skin, he is just another one of the people that can't get it through their skulls that every machine has its ups and downs, if they didn't, there would be no aftermarket.

Old 06-09-2001, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

Thought all you Honda/Yamaha fans would like to know this...I went down to the local motox track tonight and there happened to be an ATV race tonight. There were 3 400ex's, 1 Bansee, and 2 Raptors. All ATV's were hauling, but here is how they came out...400ex, 400ex, Raptor, 400ex, Banshee. I'm pretty sure it was an AMA race. The 400ex in third only had works shocks and nerfs. I talked to the guy and he said the first time he raced, his 400ex was completely stock. He won his race so he felt there was no reason to put alot of aftermarket stuff on it. The 400ex in first only had a FMF exhaust, ac nerfs, works shocks, renthal handlebars, dg bumper, and a K&N jet and airfilter. The raptor was decked out. Nerfs, extended axel, extended A-arms, weisco piston, k&n jet and air filter, white brothers exhaust, and I don't remember anything else. I know the guy said he had over $3000 in aftermarket stuff/engine work. That shows that in no way is the 400ex out of competition. The 400ex is still very competitive no matter where it is.

Quick Reply: Dirtwheels shootout is out! 400EX: Cannondale: Raptor: Banshee: DS650!!!