Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

On a 2001, 500 Rubicon.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "service" indictor light is on. How do you shut it off ? Disconect the battery and let it reset ??

Also does anyone know what type of oil is used in the oil change. I was told it was special.

Thank you for your time.

Franz

Old 06-08-2001, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

To reset,press and hold both the odometer/tripmeter and hourmeter/digital clock buttons for more than 2 seconds and the indicater light will disapear. I used honda GN4 10w/40 oil on the first change next change Im going to switch to mobile 1 synthetic.

Old 06-08-2001, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Farm King,- Thank you for the quick reply. I'm going to relay that info to my friend that has the machine.

Again Thanks,
Franz

Old 06-08-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Farmking is correct about the oil service light.

On the other quesion I will be sticking to what Honda suggests which is Honda GN4. If Honda had wanted us to use synthetics in it the manual would have stated so. With the transmission using that oil for power I am uncomfortable using something other than what is suggested. I have not heard of anyone else using a synthetic in there. If you buy the GN4 by the case (which is 2 oil changes for your Rubicon) it comes out to around $2.50-$3.00 a quart. Not a bad price.

Old 06-09-2001, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Texmud,- Good point on the synthetics. I also wouldn't recoment using them too early in the life of any engine. They actually keep the moving parts from breaking in properly. I would recomend them after about 7 to 8 thousand miles. In an ATV, for some riders, that could be a few years of operation.

BUT as you stated, I'm also not too sure they should even be used in systems like those in the Rubicon.

Thanks for the reply.
Franz

Old 06-09-2001, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

Honda advises against using synthetics in the Rubicon. Any oil containing any moly type substance should not be used. The dealer I bought mine from said this and the owners manual states this. The owners manual states, "do not use any oils containing graphite or moly additives. They may adversely affect clutch operation". Page 119 in the owners manual.

Old 06-10-2001, 01:01 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

thats odd, the honda HP-4 oil has moly in it and I have used it in every Honda I own with nothing but awesome results such as my 83' XR500R i sold last year never burning a drop of oil or any mechanical problems in the 14 years i owned it. I now run Amsoil with no problems in my Rubicon.

Old 06-10-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

My dealer recommends against synthetic oil too. The reason being that the oil is also used as transmission fluid. I'm not really sure what the big difference is, but I figure Honda knows what they're talking about.

Old 06-10-2001, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

JRM
Those XR500's are beast's! we have an old one that was sitting for a while. we got it running a little while back. first time i gave it gas and let off the clutch, the front end climed skyward. they are a pain to handle for serious offroading. they throw you everywhere. i don't think i am heavy enough to make the suspension soft. i believe 3rd gear wheelies are easily possible but for now, it is almost too much power for me.

laterz

Old 06-10-2001, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

The manual does not say anything about HP-4 oil for the Rubicon. It only refers to GN-4 oil or its equilvalent. This oil contains no moly. Honda now makes a synthetic oil with no graphite or moly additives.

Quick Reply: On a 2001, 500 Rubicon.......