Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil in 400EX - 15W-50?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it does stick out further due to the pipes laying side-by-side. It's just a little out from the clutch arm. No there's no heat shield. Not even the one from James Lucky.
I did burn a spot about the size of a quarter on my boots. But that was due to riding double and it was against for a period of time.
During normal riding you don't slide up far enough to worry about burns.

The power it provides is worth it though.

Old 06-12-2001, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe,

What kind of oil do you run in your quad? What kind of oil would you suggest for me? (11:1 piston & XR400 cam in 400EX used for MX)? Could you tell us about all the values of synthetic oil? Thanks a lot.

Old 06-12-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

I run Mobil1 15w50 year round.

I have posted volumes of info on synthetic in the past - should be able to find a lot of it by searching for Mobil1 15w50.

If you have any specific questions, or have trouble finding past info, let me know.

Old 06-13-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

If the performance of synthetic oil is so much greater than that of conventional oil, don't you think it would be a common warranty requirement? Do you know of any manufacturer who will void the warranty on any engine should the owner not use synthetic oil? Or for that matter, do you know of any company that will extend the warranty for those who do use it?

Old 06-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Again, do your research before jumping on my case.

There are federal laws prohibiting manufacturers from requiring you to use certain oils for warranty purposes. It's called consumer protection. Can you imagine what would happen if these laws were not in place?

They'd have you over a barrel, you'd be forced to only use Honda's branded oil, it would likely cost over $10/qt...

Also, what would be their incentive to offering an extended warranty period for use of synthetic? Conventionals will likely get you thru the warranty period if changed regularly. It's the long term and under extreme conditions where synthetics really shine.

I guess, call me an idiot - but I like every once of protection I can get for my engine when it's turning 9000 RPM @ 250-275+ degrees of oil temperature... If I have to pay $5 more per oil change to get that extra protection, so be it.

Like I said, there's much more to synthetic than extended oil change interval. Dig around a little, there are great benefits to using it in our hot running, high RPM, air cooled machines. Do some real research on the subject, then we'll talk.

Old 06-13-2001, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

<< Why is everyone using car oil in their quads? It's not designed to be run in a wet clutch set-up. If you haven't had slipping yet your very lucky. It can seriously shorten the life of a clutch.

Just stick with motorcycle oil. Whether it's syn. or regular it's your choice.
>>

I was unaware that there was a difference. The manual never said use motor cycle oil, just to use 10W-40. Granted I am just geting back into trail riding, and motorcycles after a 15 year absence.

Old 06-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

Springdrl,
Your the IDIOT!

Do you actually think the manufacture wants your engine to last very long.
If so your also stupid!
They have a life expectancy when they want the engine to wear out. So you will go buy a new one..
And also you cant use synthetics till after breakin to allow the rings to set in.
Like Gabe said research before you open your mouth.

Old 06-13-2001, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Put yourself in the shoes of the engine designer who first developed the wet-clutch, multi-plate system. With no speciality oils on the market at the time, would it have made sense to design an engine that required such oil? How many units could the company expect to sell if they could not operate safely with traditional motor oil?

Old 06-13-2001, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Tell you what guys. I promise to switch the next time I fail to get over 150,000 miles from one of my Toyota engines while using traditional Valvoline. And I guess that 12-year-old lawn mower is also soon to fail due to my refusal to use synthetic oil.

Just remember those famous words from the late P.T Barnum- &quot;There's a sucker born every minute.&quot;

Old 06-13-2001, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Put yourself in the shoes of the engine designer who first developed the wet-clutch, multi-plate system. With no speciality oils on the market at the time, would it have made sense to design an engine that required such oil? How many units could the company expect to sell if they could not operate safely with traditional motor oil?

Those vintage engines are VERY much different than the engines of today. What do you suppose the cc to HP conversion factor is between the first wet clutch, multi plate engine is and an engine of today?

Do you honestly believe that nothing has changed? Do you honestly believe that just because something will get you by, there is not any value in something better?

Tell you what guys. I promise to switch the next time I fail to get over 150,000 miles from one of my Toyota engines while using traditional Valvoline. And I guess that 12-year-old lawn mower is also soon to fail due to my refusal to use synthetic oil.

I am a Toyota fan as well... Do what you will. But I'd like to see your Toyota engine get the abuse and run the oil temps that our ATVs do and survive as well on convential as it would on synthetic. Heck, I'd really like to see your lawnmower exceed 4000 RPM, yet alone spend significant time above 6000, peak over 9000, run oil temps in the range of 250+ deg F, while developing around 1.5 hp per cubic inch under full load much of the time.

Heck, what do I know, maybe your Toyota and Lawnmower do operate under these conditions?

I bet using your mentality, ND recycled oil is &quot;good enough&quot; for your lawnmower, why not save $.75 - $1.00 a quart and run that in it.

Again, I challenge you to do some real research &amp; give me some sound reasoning behind why I should switch back to conventional in my quad. I've done the research, I've done the real world testing. I'll be glad to share my findings if you care to educate yourself on the subject.

Quick Reply: Oil in 400EX - 15W-50?