Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon questions-tech stuff-.....kinda,....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have loads of experience with automotive hightech/high performance mods and have a new Rubicon(three weeks old, 480 miles & never left the farm). I know Honda intentionally runs their machines lean for emissions compliance, they state that themselves, and I've installed the "dyno-jet" kit (lots better........LOTS!), I am waiting for the K&N filter to become available and want to do some exhaust stuff but still want to keep it quiet(quiet?).......My local dealer is very small and doesn't seem to know "squat" about the Rubi and I need somewhere to go for specifics (here?) I have a "clattering"noise on occasion(usually) when it's first started cold and it hangs in until I rev it up a little (sounds like the oil pump lost it's "prime&quot. I've also had the refilling the oil "reservior" spillage before it had been filled with the proper volume. I cranked the motor to refill the filter & the rest of the system before it would finish the recommended volume. AND checking it cold hasn't shown any oil on the dipstick unless I run it a few seconds and shut it off & recheck...like it had drained into the crankcase where it's not supposed to be(dry sump system).
Is there supposed to be a fairly loud "clicking" noise in the engine/trans area at idle?(warm)
Does yours throw mud off the rear wheels into your back side and forward onto the rear deck area? Mine does at any speed over 7 mph............and they tell me they've never had that complaint.......so I must not have a problem?.....I think I do, so does my wife!........and you know what that means............she's getting mud all over her backside, not a happy situation at the end of a ride.........(I can't keep it under 7mph for very long).
I know, lots of questions, but I'm looking for some help I can't get them from our dealer. I'm not sure what they're doing, but so far, too many of the questions I've asked haven't gotten a reasonable answer, at least not good enough to satisfy my concerns.
Are there any Honda techs you can contact? any links?....I NEED RESOURCES!!!!!... ...HELP!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any and all help!!!

Lou....."pepprdog"

"Tippmann Pnuematics" (paintball) forum Administrator......"http://www.tippmann.com"

Old 06-19-2001, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

The rattling you are hearing may be your heat shield. There was a post on here about 6 months ago about the heat sheild rattling. Do some searching and you should find the fix for that problem. I am not sure if that is what you are hearing, but I would start there. I do not have any odd noises on mine.

Increasing performance of the muffler will make it louder.

I have no clue what you are trying to tell me on the oil deal....maybe you can give me the laymans version.

Throwing mud....heck yes. Wait until you get bigger tires. You will never stay dry and the wife wont either. Some quads have better mud flaps, but then again....some have even worse.

Old 06-19-2001, 05:41 AM
Pro Rider

Is the sound you hear by the engine a rattle? If it is, then it's probably the heat shield.

If your Rubicon has stock tires, you shouldn't get much (if any) mud on you, unless you're seriously mudding. But if you're just riding though mud and not intentionally going through it as fast as you can, then you shouldn't get very muddy. I don't know why your back would get covered in mud. Is there mud whipping off the back tires while you go uphill?

Old 06-19-2001, 05:58 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

mine gets slop on the back part of the seat, and also my boots get wet in wet snow as the front tires throw it on the outside of the floor boards...but nothing to huge

Old 06-19-2001, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the oil problem your having might be a check valve, I dont know if these have them or not but on my Harley (dry sump) it does. & when it sticks open the oil drains from the tank to the case where it dont belong. might try this site to see if they have the ruby for a parts listing.
Text dont know if this link will work or not. just a thought. good luck.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

If the clicking sound you hear goes cold goes away after you rev it up, it could be a heat shield on the muffler, or just the valves rattling a little before the oil gets to them. If it is a tinny rattle, it is the heat shield, if it is a kind of a click inside the engine, it is the valves.
The clicking noise inside the engine at hot idle is definately the valves. I would check the valve clearance or have it checked. All new 4 cycle engines should have the valve clearance checked after break in. For the record, though, my brother's Fourtrax 300 has the valves click when hot even if they are set properly. After 6 years we figure it must just be a quirk. On my 300, they only click when the engine is good and hot. I guess every engine is a little different.
Even the XL250R I used to have had the valves clatter at idle when hot, and it went many, many miles.

Old 06-19-2001, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

WOW! I didn't expect so many quick responses .....I'm really impressed-Thanks guys! The check valve and lifter noise make most sense, the rattle is only once, only the first start cold and continues until I rev the motor(just a little rev, not opened up or anything close to high rpms)........I'm not real happy with that situation but I'll contact my dealer about it. At this point I think the oil drains back into the crankcase and doesn't supply the engine until it's revved enough to refill the oil tank, then the engine, I hate to think it's running dry at the start.
The mud thing is at any speed over 7 mph, a real pain(stock tires).
I have to say, the "Dynojet" kit(#Q109-about $50 from my dealer) has made a remarkable improvement with the performance at all speeds and the fuel usage seems to be very close to the same. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting more power. It seems to be running a little cooler too, another benefit from not running so lean.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

If you check your oil cold, it's only supposed to show up on the very tip of the dipstick. If it does, it's safe to go ahead and start the engine. After starting the engine, the oil will show up on the middle section of the dipstick. The steps are outlined in your owner's manual.

Old 06-19-2001, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

I've read the manual cover to cover a couple-three times and understand about the level, I just don't like the noise/clatter when first starting the motor. I called the dealer and he said it was all normal so I guess I won't worry about it, I have the extended warranty so if there is a problem they'll eventually have to take care of it.....problem resolved.....Thanks again!
About the mud, I guess I'll need some additional rear flaps?.....does anyone have some good links or information for aftermarket parts for Rubi? Performance mods? Suspension improvements?....again, any and all help is really appreciated.

Lou......pepprdog

"Tippmann Pnuematics" (paintball) forum Administrator......"http://www.tippmann.com/forum/"

Old 06-19-2001, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get a Tamarack box for the rear rack...it makes a great mud shield. It also stores lots of gear and has a backrest built in that your wife will really like.
Oil level on mine does the same as yours. I just warm the engine before I check the level. My exhaust shield rattled also when increasing speed until I adjusted on it. I think it was TEXMud that told me the fix. It worked. This forum beats any service manual. I check it everyday.
Thanks Everyone !!!!

Quick Reply: Rubicon questions-tech stuff-.....kinda,....