Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I DID IT!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-1999, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now the proud owner of a 99 Honda 300. For those that followed my past about making a decision, I went with the 300 because for the riding I was going to be doing, I needn't need the extras. (I really would have liked to have it but I didn't feel comfortable spending that much money right now in my life. At lest that is what I keep telling myself

But I couldn't be happier, I found a left over 99 that they really wanted to deal on, so today at 4:30 I go and pick it up.

My first question is floor boards. I don't plan on doing any mud riding but when I am out hunting the occasional mud pit is hard to miss. What floor boards will provide the most protection from mud without getting in the way of the shifter. I liked the Brute floor boards because they looked like they covered the whole area between the fenders but is there an interference problem with the shifter? Are there any other brands that I should consider.

What about breaking it in? What is the proper break in process for this machine?

I hope to get to know some of you and become a regular. Thanks for the help!

P.S Damn I guess I need a signature now, any ideas?

Old 10-05-1999, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

as far as floorboards go i wouldn't be concerned with mud protection, but i would want a floorboard that would allow mud to pass through it,protect my feet for sticks and be non-slip, take a look a highlifter floorboards, i love mine!!! sa for break in, very your speed for about 5 tanks of gas and change the oil after 3 tanks of fuel and stay away from extended full throttle runs.

Old 10-06-1999, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

How does everyone keep track of their hours on their machine without having a hour meter? Is there a company that makes an hour meter that I can install to keep track of it? Or is it something you keep track in your head?

Old 10-06-1999, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Chris,

Congrats on the quad! Hope you will enjoy it!

I have to agree with Harold on the floorboards - Get the Highlifter set - They don't interfere with shifting and they don't hang down below the frame at all.... And they support my weight without giving... (a lot).

As for an hour-meter - there is a website... Dang! <Something>smallengines that has a tach/hourmeter. The other alternative is go get a Mountain Bike Speedo (Avenir is one brand). That gives you a little digital speedo in mph/kmh, odometer, clock, trip, and several other functions for around $40. That was Gordons idea and it has worked wonderfully on my 300.

Congrats again
Happy Trails!

------------------
Steve "Bog Hog" West

Honda 300 4x4 - Gordonized, Powered and Vamped

Old 10-06-1999, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

I am very happy with the DG floorboards. They are very strong. As for the shifting, you do have to lift your foot to shift but it is no big deal.. I would buy them again. As for the Highlifters mentioned, I don't know anything about them but I can't imagine any could be stronger than the DG. What ever you decide, good luck and have fun. That Honda 300 is bullet-proof. Just maintain it like the other posts said and it will last forever....

Old 10-08-1999, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will go with the highlifter boards.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ChrisPollock (edited 10-08-1999).]