Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

500 Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 02:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i need a big 4x4 atv that will climb big hills and go threw a good amount of mud. I think the rubicon can handle that but how long does these things last. If any one has a rubicon how many miles do you have on it and how many problems didi you have. I like to ride the hell out of my atvs every day is the 500 rubicon up to the job. info please

Thank you for any info

Old 07-01-2001, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

any honda is up to the thrashing of anyone and is as reliable as they come unless you get a lemon. the only problem with mine has been the speed sensor went bad but that was nothing. i have heard nothing else bad about rubis at all

Old 07-01-2001, 02:59 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Rubicon and I think it is one of the best atv's on the Market. I had an electrical short on the first one I had that the dealer had a problem finding after 3 attempts and gave me a new one. They later told me that they had found the problem and it was a short in a wiring connection. It was a very small problem but rather than make me wait on and on for them to find the problem my dealer gave me a new one and has made me a customer for life. He sells several different brands but Honda is what I believe is the best quality. I have not had any problem with the new Rubicon at all and I drive it everyday. If I we're going to buy a new 4x4 today I would get the Rubicon again without any doubt at all.

Old 07-01-2001, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

What about the oil change 6 litres a change. Go for a 450es only 2
litres a change. Will save a lot of money in oil.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2001, 01:02 PM
Range Rover

Does anyone have a 500 rubicon with over 2000 miles on it if so how hard do you ride and how many problems have you had.

Old 07-01-2001, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I only have 400 miles on mine but its been a trouble free 400 miles. My Pics

Old 07-01-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well I am pushing the 2000 mile mark and ride it fairly agressive as if it was a sport bike and maintain it properly"grease seals"and it has been flawless and it never misses a beat!Long term durabilty ,I am sure it is the best out there if you know how to grease there seals.The 5 litres of oil it has can be looked in a positive way also,it would take a lot more to break down 5ltrs of oil then it would 2.

Old 07-02-2001, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

I have close to 500 miles on mine, and it's been flawless. I know there was a lot of skepticism about the new tranny, but it's been perfect so far. Even the ATV magazines still give it very high marks.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

I only have 300 miles on my Rubi and the only hiccup has been the speed sensor. Otherwise it's smooth as silk and seems to run better each time out. I would buy another one without any reservations.

Old 07-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

I dont feel I have enough miles on mine to really answer you on my exp. (less then 100 miles)
I went through the same questions you are right now. Only reason I am replying is to tell you what I was told by dealers and fellow posters.
Only thing the dealer knew about was the speed sensor was an issue with the older models. 8) he is a dealer after all. (Heard of dealers taking months on this one in the beginning of the problem.)
That comes to another point, your dealer is a huge issue. If you have a sucky dealer your screwed. I have a honda dealer only a couple miles from me, but I go 20 miles out of my way to a WAY better dealer. (wow, Sandrews46... A brand new one. Your dealers rocks)
Read a post about the instument ?pod? going bad. The couple I read about were in the first 6 months and covered under warranty. (and the pods are not expensive)
Havent heard about any tranny issues except the oil issue. Put in 5 quarts, start it up then put in the last one. Heard of someone stopping at 5 cause it wouldnt take anymore. (made noises)
I personally like the idea of all that oil. Not having to worry about the tranny oil AND the engine oil. Just check/replace one.
Those are the only issues I have really heard of. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 500 Rubicon