Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda vs. Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I enjoy the most about a topic such as this post is hearing the differences between these two manufacturers as seen by end users of the products instead of an "expert" like the mags.
When a person has a unit for a long time and can respond about features, reliability, effectiveness in the terrain they use it in, that helps others in their decision on what to buy. I know that this forum helped me tremendously in my decision to buy my 400 Scrambler. I read all the pro's and con's and knew I wanted a very fast 4 wheel drive unit. The only one made is the Scrambler.
Now what I am waiting for is Honda, Yammy, Suzuki, Kawasaki or AC to bridge the gap between pure high performance and mudder type machines. Then I think we will have a good comparison for the type of quad I like.
I know just from reading various mags and on this forum, Polaris does very well when comparing quads like the Sp500 to the Grizzly, or the magnum series to other utility quads. They don't do so good in the pure Sport or high performance area, but in my estimation, they will eventually see the need, and like the Expedition 425, will introduce something to compete with the other manufacturers.
Their quality will also continue to improve, but like my earlier post stated, their leadership in the 'innovation' department is something that other quad manufacturers will have a hard time catching up to.

Thanks, Mike

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

[This message has been edited by MDelby (edited 10-14-1999).]

Old 10-14-1999, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Bill; Forget what I said , I think Cob might have pulled one over on me.

Old 10-15-1999, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

WOW! I cringed when I read the title to this post: Honda vs. Polaris. But I was very impressed how this WASN'T (Mr. Moderator) turned into a bash fest. Although I personally prefer Honda (Trx and Atc250R's), I have ridden many Polaris quads and loved them for what they are. Easy to ride trail machines. But since my cup-O-tea is high-performance machines, I cannot give my honest opinion, because I could care less about trail machines. Good show chaps!
BrandonV

------------------

Old 10-15-1999, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

A few things to add. Whether it's Polaris, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. almost every one of their machines fits "perfect" for a specific style of person. IE-Most Polaris machines fit larger riders better, most Suzuki's fit smaller riders better, in my opinion anyway. With exception to the 400ex (too small for larger guys), just about every Honda feels "perfect" for anybody.

To sum up my other post... By ATV terms the 400ex is high performance for the market today. However, I think the real high performance ATV's are the Banshee, 250R(s), Zilla, and bikes like that. The 400ex is really fast on the trails, but just imagine if it had a motor like the 250R, or YZ400 in it. I think those are high performance motors. Just my opinion. If anyone wants to talk about it e-mail me privatly.

Old 10-16-1999, 01:51 AM
Range Rover

we ride often in mixed groups all types of wheelers, if it was between polaris and honda it is quite simple; you have to adjust, fix or repair the polaris nearly every ride, with honda just don't forget to add gasoline. yea i know those who claim they never have a problem with polaris, i think they are the same people who drive a vw beetle 300,000 miles and never touch the engine, i guess acts of god can happen.

Old 10-16-1999, 03:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like the Polaris is a more expensive machine to own, if it needs more frequent repair. True? It has some nice features, like the autotrans, but aside from that, is is really any better than a Honda? Or worse?

Just read ATV magazine's initial ride impression of the Ranchers at: http://www.ehlertpowersports.com/hot...m?Category=atv

They sound pretty good.

Old 10-16-1999, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

Rancher,
I have yet to have to tinker with either of my Polaris' before a ride. But if you insist that a Polaris owner has to. I guess I will. What should I do first? Rotate the tires? Top off the windsheild washer fluid? Check my taillamps & turnsignals? Just wonderin'..
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-16-1999, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Blah blah blah Honda blah blah Polaris blah blah blah blah Honda. Blah blah blah Yamaha blah blah blah blah Kawasaki.

Chris

------------------

Old 10-16-1999, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

You forgot blah blah blah blah blah Suzuki

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 10-16-1999, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

Ooops, sorry! You took the words right out of my mouth.

Chris

------------------

Quick Reply: Honda vs. Polaris