Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

EBC Brake Pads Fit Too Tight???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I struggled by I finally got the new rear EBC brake pads onto my 400ex. I was warned on this board and others that the fit would be really tight. Well, it was. Now that I have them on, the quad does not move since the brake pads are firmly set against the rotor. It's like having a super emergency brake. Now I removed the e-brake, so that is not a consideration.

My question is whether I will damage anything if I try to ride the quad and wear down the brake pads slightly in order to have free movement. Or will I damage my rotor if I try to force things? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

They shouldn't be that tight. Did you clean the rotor and bottom out the calapier the whole way before you put the pads on? Check and see if your rotor is true. you might've bent it. If nothing applies, you shouldn't mess anything up. Just make sure it doesn't heat up the rotor too much and warp it. That'd be about the only problem.

Old 07-05-2001, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, I cleaned everything out. The rotor looks true to the eyeball.

Those EBC replacement pads are thick! I had to get advice from this board and others to get them on, and everyone claimed that it is a really tight fit. Mine might be just a little tighter than others...

So it sounds like you don't see an issue as long as I can get it to roll and not heat up the rotor. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've never had trouble with the ebc brake pads. I just made sure the piston was pushed in all the way, and wiggled them between the rotor with no problems. I have the SV (severe) duty brake pads and they last way better than the stock pads if you keep out of real gritty mud. Also, a little tip for the SV duty pads: once installed, go about 30mph, and use the brake firmly for 10-20 seconds, wile still on the throttle. this is suppost to give a hard surface to the the brake material, and they will last even longer. my stock brake pads lasted 2 months. the ebc lasted 8 months(although in the winter months, I drove less than 500 miles). But they will last at least twice as long as stockers. In canada, stock replacements are 29.99, and the ebc SV duty are 35-40. worth the extra money.
sorry for going off topic, but I hear of a lot of people going through rear brake pads a lot.