Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Glueing grips- .....nothing works!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried EVERYTHING to keep my grips on. I've tried the basic grip glue, hair spray, black spray paint, auto weather stripping glue, shoe glue.

Nothing works! I've been told to tape the handlebars with masking tape- I've tried duct tape. But I have yet to try crazy glue.

how do you keep your grips on?

I've heard about securing them with wire for safety reasons. How do you do that?

Old 07-13-2001, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

When you tried the weatherstrip glue, did you use the 3M brand? I've never found anything better.

Old 07-13-2001, 03:06 PM
87r
Range Rover

I have had the same problems on my quad. Seems like you really work the grips on a quad more than on a bike.

I tried everything and then I went to safety wire and I have had no more problems. I use thin safety wire - I don't know the guage of it but it is about half the diameter of bailing wire.

Renthal grips and most other grips actually have little indentations for the safety wire.

Old 07-13-2001, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

how do you attach the safety wire? Do you twist it like a twistie on a bag of bread? How tight? Is it possible to get it too tight and have it cut through the grip?

thanks

Old 07-13-2001, 03:36 PM
87r
Range Rover

Rotgut,

I have safety wire pliers - they are the ticket. However, you can just use pliers or vice grips. Wrap the wire around the grip and then twist the ends together like bread ties (like you said) and then twist them tighter with the pliers. Yes, you can definitely get the wire too tight and cut the grips especially if you use Renthal soft grips. Once you get the wire tight, cut off the excess and then use the pliers to push the sharp end down into the grip. This last part is important since the cut wires will wreak havoc on your riding gloves / fingers if they aren't pushed into the grip.

I run two bands around each grip. One in the middle of the grip and one on the end towards the center of the bike.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-13-2001, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I have always used black paint like Krylon, Rust Oleum (sp?) or some other fast drying rust prohibitive paint. seems to really stay put. However there isn't anything that I've seen better than the wire on the grips. I've never bought any wire though, I always talk the bike shop in to "scoring" me some with the purchase of new grips.

Old 07-13-2001, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

I've found that with grips you usually only get one shot at getting them right. Start buy buying new grips. Make sure your bars are clean and smooth. I lightly sand mine with 400-600 grit paper. Next clean the bars with Alcohol. Then pour alcohol in to the grip and swish it around. Pour out the excess and slip the grip on the bar. After a day to dry the grips will be stuck.

If it doesn't work complain to the Management.

Woodo

Old 07-13-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I would clean the inside of the grips and also the handlebars itself with some alcohol swabs to remove any residue first. Then try to glue them on with glue or the paint technique.

Old 07-13-2001, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

I clean them real good and then use 5 minute auto epoxy. You can get it at autozone or usually any auto parts store. Seems to work well and you have a few minutes to get them lined up. Then let it set for a full 24 hours to let it dry to full strength. Hope this helps.
Steve

Old 07-13-2001, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

some hairspray worked for me. but then i started using grip glue. my grips have yet to move.

Quick Reply: Glueing grips- .....nothing works!