Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

squeaky front suspension on 99' Foreman ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001 | 11:18 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

My front suspension system has a pretty bad squeak. Sounds like it is coming from the front shocks. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do other than getting some aftermarket shocks? It has done this since it was quite new. I don't cross many creeks that are too deep so I don't think water is the problem. If replacement is the only way to deal with this what aftermarket shocks should I consider and how can I get a hold of the company?
Thanks for any help
Dane

Old 07-15-2001 | 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

It's usually the rubber bushing where it mounts to the frame. If you can get some marine grease between the two, it will most likely cure your problem.

Old 07-15-2001 | 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

I can't believe how many of these posts I have seen lately...Click Here for a post I made awhile ago on how to fix this.

Old 07-15-2001 | 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my Polaris Trailblazer it was the rear suspension. I dont know exactly what it was but it fixed it self. Mabey it is somethign with the shock that happens with a lot of atvs.

Old 07-15-2001 | 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had this exact problem on my Foreman and it is easy to fix. If you ride in water a lot, you'll need to do this every few months to keep the squeeks under control.
Jack up the front end, remove the front wheels. Remove the lower shock bolt and pull the shock from the mount. There is a sleeve that the bolt runs through in the eye of the bottom of the shock, remove that. It will more that likely be rusted and rough, that is where your noise is coming from. Clean these sleeves as best you can. Use sandpaper if it is real bad and then shine them up with some steel wool. Now, go back to the shocks. Where you pulled the sleeves from the lower shock eyes needs to be cleaned very well. You will notice that there are some brass bushings lining the shock eye that have some diamond-shaped cuts in them, these are to hold grease. After you clean and dry the eyes real well, put some waterproof grease onto the brass lining of the shock eye, making sure to get plenty into the diamond-shaped cuts (this will make this little repair last longer). Then simply grease and slide your pre-cleaned bolt sleeves back into the shock eye, and place the shock back into position, replace the bolt, replace the wheels, let down the jack. Now, jump up and down on the front end. That should have fixed it, it always does mine. Hope this helps.