Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher owners please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400 miles of rough and rocky trails with a problem on my 01 4x4es so far. I am glad I bought it!

Old 07-16-2001, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

I got my 01 rancher es 4x4 3 weeks ago and on the first ride noticed a oil leak from the left foot side oil fitting to the oil cooler. Called the dealer back and he said there was a o-ring in the fitting that must be bad.
Got a o-ring and replaced it myself, no more oil leaking. I love it. and so does the wife. We break 3 of the 4 rules all the time. We ride double, we ride on the side streets, and we don't ofter wear helmets. But we don't drink and ride. yet..

Old 07-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

my friend has a rancherES 4x4. hes had it for a little bit over a year and hes never had any problems with it, he rides it a few times a week usually

Old 07-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend Joe and I switched rides for awhile.I rode his 00 350ES Rancher 4x4 and he rode my 00 400cc 4x4 Xplorer.

I must say that the ES shifted swiftly.It was a little strange for only the first mile or so,than I got used to shifting the up/down buttons WITHOUT looking at them.I actually think this ES shift is a great way to go,especially for a begining rider.

I thought the Rancher gave a BETTER ride than it looks like it does.It handled well to.It does not have near the acceleration that my Xplorer does,but neither does ANY 4x4 utility ATV.

I have to say,the Rancher is a nice 4x4 ATV.

Bill

Old 07-16-2001, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had my Rancher and recon for just over a year now. So far only little problems. Had both the Shift plate and a-arm reinforcement recalls done.

Worst problem is the choke sticking when it gets really cold out. I had to do a 10-minute procedure of unscrewing the nut at the carb end of the choke cable, pulling out the choke plunger and lubing it with WD40. I keep mine outside all winter, and it must get moisture in the assembly somewhere. Before I lubed it, I had to pull out the cable before shutting it down. Afterwards, I didn't really have a problem.

Only other complaint is how many black plastic rivits I go through. Also lost two Front rubber hub caps (later found both) and one brake inspection plug.

Really havent had any problems with either one.

on another topic, www.hlsm.com has online parts diagrams for Honda ATV's now.

Cheers,

Old 07-16-2001, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

I have had a Rancher for over a year now and outside needing a little dilithium grease in a connecter, it has been great. It rides well, handles well and is extremely reliable. Another plus is the gas mileage. Last weekend we were out and it got 48 mpg (Cdn). Mind you this was easy, wood road driving but none the less the mileage was great. There was a new 300 Cat with us and he only got 28 mpg. It was new so maybe it will improve with age.

Temp

Old 07-20-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I've had one for 4 months, 400 miles (okay 400 hard miles) the only issue thus far has been a tiny leak from the front differential halfshaft seal, pulling the assembly appart revealed a strand of grass worked in against the seal, grass removed leak stopped. I've put maybe fifty miles on it since then. I am happy enough with the quad for it being my first, ultru fast? no 50mph is it, Ultra mudder? I dunno it's been a dry summer, and the creek beds are generally gravel around here anyhow-no water problems with water fairly deep. I bought it over an AC 500 4x4, because of ease of use in driving(push button tranny, refined, and frankly I like stiffer suspentions, I think a soft suspensions a terrible selling point...it's like saying the police ought to drive Cadillacs, there'd be five times as many police deaths due to crashes because of marshmellow handling), there is no regret at this point, I don't think I could stand a low range. When mowing around my pond it's so depressing anymore, the tractor stops at sixth gear and I have this silly grin all the time.

Old 07-22-2001, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Rancher makes a pretty good beginners quad but tends to be a bit sluggish on open roads. Transmissions tend to be weak as well. doesn't handle particularly well but does look good! I would drive one before I laid down the bucks!

Maxtrax

Old 07-23-2001, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

I'll agree with the sluggish on open roads part because I wish mine would do 55 and it tops out at 51, but as far as having a weak transmission? you must me high. Name another quad you can power shift from gear to gear without having to let off of the throttle......didn't think you could. The Rancher transmission has been completely solid!!

Old 07-24-2001, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

have to put in my 2 cents worth too. i've had my 00' rancher a year now and put 500 miles on it. bought it used with 125 miles. was bummed when it stopped shifting a couple weeks after getting it, i think it was the angle sensor had gone bad. the honda shop took care of it even though the 6 month cover was up. lost lots of plastic rivets only because i ride where the trails end. my machine has spent a good portion of its 500 miles underwater and in mud. i've put it through hell and nobody, not even my brothers 99' 450 w/ 27x12x12 blackwaters can follow it or get unstuck with out help. i just put 27" 589s on it(9 in front, 11 in rear) and what a difference( in first gear only). i lost power but i will be getting a power kit and winch soon. the rancher is lite, so you can get off and move it around if you get stuck. i love shifting with the electric shift. going up hills and having to down shift to keep up the power is the best because you don't have to let off the gas. same for hitting the mud and having to down shift to keep those tires moving, you don't need to let off the gas. i think the rancher es 4x4 has the perfect combination for a atv. you can do lots with it(mods), easy to ride and handle, not too heavy. oh well, you need to figure out what good for you. but for the stuff i like to do the rancher is great. i was very worried at first about all the electrical stuff and shorting stuff out. i don't even think about it now. i just go and go and go....
later -dana

00' rancher es 4x4 w/ 27" 589s

Quick Reply: Rancher owners please help