Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX measurement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, last fall I took a tumble with my beloved. Well the stock bars are kaput, and I know why the 400ex brakes are under recall. The thing I want to know is what is the toe in measurement on your quad. Mine was -3/4 inch which is alot, and seemed to cause alot of fight at speed. I reduced it to a moderate 1/8 inch to suffice, but was wondering what the stock setting is. The local dealer won't tell me but wants me to bring it in for a checkup at $60 a hour 2 hour min.

Please take your measurements between the frame in back and a equal point in front, shoud be about the middle of the tire.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2001, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

Nobody has the time or inclination to go out and take a measurement of thier quads front end for me?

Old 07-20-2001, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

From the service manual specs it's not that sensitive, an eighth in probably too little though go for 1/4 to 9/16. Three quarters sounds like something pobabaly got tweeked slightly under impact.

Old 07-21-2001, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

The stock toe parameters are pretty wide--my service manual says 0.7 plus/minus 0.6 inches. When setting mine I typically set it somewhere between 1/2" to 5/8" toe-in. FYI...in my experience neutral toe (or close to it such as +- 1/8&quot including toe-out causes better sterring response but twitchiness at higher speeds, whereas more toe-in sacrifices a little steering response for better high speed stability. Just remember that when measuring, toe-in means the rear measurement will be more than the front measurement, and the opposite for toe-out.

Old 07-21-2001, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

thanks, that is what I was looking for. I went from .75 to .25 thinking the quads were neutral. I don't have the grab or fight on top like before but it is kinda twitchy on the long straight away if I am not paying attention. overall its not to bad.

Thanks again

Old 07-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

NVR2L8 I just noticed you are from lompoc, what a $hit hole. Where do you go riding around there. I graduated from L high, but went mainly to cabrillo. Left 10 years ago, but still go back to visit inlaws and such.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:48 AM
Range Rover

It ain't so bad here in the "Poke", better than where I used to live...in the desert near Lancaster/Palmdale, CA. Anyway, being in the military I don't get much of a choice where I live, but since I'm getting out and have a decent job offer I'll probably just stay in this area.

Not a whole lot of riding in the local area, the county (Santa Barbara) is really strict on where you can ride...dang environmentalists! But we have the Pismo Dunes about 45 minutes north of here so you can't beat that. My family and I just got back from a camping/riding trip two weeks ago. Spent 5 days in the Stanisluas Forest just north of Sonora, CA. Beautiful country with tons of places to ride. Was a good trip! Anyhow, if you come this way again bring your quad along, and we'll go shoot a few bowls up at Pismo! *L*

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2001, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

rgr will have to. My deros is 07/03 usally stop by inroute.

Old 07-22-2001, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

there is a recall on 400ex brakes??????

Old 07-22-2001, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, read about it in atv sport. Was just a little insert, of course after the accident. They wouldn't repair the bike but offered to correct the problem of something bieng installed backwards (I think the pads) but can't figure out what after instaling the sintered pads.

The recall is on 99-00 bikes and they have a list of vin#'s

Quick Reply: 400EX measurement.