Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

got a cam and piston how do i break my motor in on my 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MagicMatt,The stock XR cam is step under Webs all around cam.Phaskell has the stock XR cam.As I said,a waste of time and money.Doing all that work for just a little more!!! Yes it will be better,but could have had more for just a few extra dollars.Its like spending $450 for 2hp,FCR carb or spending $500 for 8hp,head work,cam,os valves.Witch whould you go for?

Old 07-18-2001, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

different people have different ideas on performance like mine it works good for me and that all i care about not how someone else likes i am installing it this weekend and i will let all of you know how it turns out ok thanxx for the help

Old 07-19-2001, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pineman, I have both the brand new Honda XR 400 cams and the all around from WEB on my parts shelves, they have the same lift and duration is so very close on both. Actually between the 3 stock Honda cams I have the duration fluctuates -1 to +3 degrees? And All my Web cams have come out within -1 to +1 degrees. I personally own a 89.5 MM,my personal grind Web Cam (same lift as the 479 grind just more duration) 34mm Del West titanium intake valves and 29mm titanium Del West exhaust valves, Kibblewhite TI valve spring kit,Full port job with valve guides de-shrouded and D-port cut exhaust ports,Carillo std. length rod,lightened flywheel and crank that was dynamic balanced as one unit,rev limiter cut out,undercut transmission for long ratio,and a just installed FCR 39mm. This motor would not work for everyones application but works perfect for mine. I had everything I have listed minus the new carb,undercut trans,and was using a rev limiter. This configuration ran 38.3HP @ the rear wheels (using slicks so there was zero slipage). For reference the bike was 21.7 HP when it was bone stock using stock tires (this loses about 2-3HP). I ran it on the dyno this evening with my new setup and it ran 44.1HP and produce phenominal torque (has too much really) and a great power range and is lean. I put the 98 XR 250 rev box back on to see what having a rev cut-out would do and it ran 42.9. I will run it with the rev-limiter most the time as the safety is way more important than the 1+HP. So to your question about the cylinder work, I always sell customers full port jobs with cam and big intakes before a big carb. You can bring it in all day long but it has to be able to burn all it has effectively first! However once this is done you will only compliment it by adding more fuel,more flow that the FCR will offer. It is one big receipe and is more so important on 4-strokes than 2-strokes. You are obviously aware of this as you speek very wisely and I in no way want to offend you. I just speek what I know and sell and build every single day. I personally would have used a Web 479 grind. I would put it in a stock motor it is just that good. It is not a crazy grind by any means and works well in almost all motors I put it in. People get scared easily into thinking reliability problems will occur with motor mods. Sure a higher compression piston will create more heat, but a higher lift cam with more duration actually runs cooler as it does not hold the exhaust in as long. Phaskel will have a HP or two gain and will notice it. But with you I agree he could have done more for the same amount of money. Phaskell enjoy what you have I have seen many of what you have perform well. Good Luck P.S. Do not forget to re-adjust your valves @5,10,20 hours.