Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need SUV help(i know this isnt about atv's,sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot complain about the mileage. You can get a 95 Tahoe for peanuts as that is pre-vortec and do not have a very high resale... good for you. And it has the standard 350 which can be replaced easily when it gets too old. The mileage may differ on some, but I tell ya, I was impressed. Almost forgot that I used Mobil 1 synthetic, that helps a bit too.

Currently in my 98 Silverado, I installed a Gibson Dual Sport exhaust, K&N filter, and Mobil 1...and I am averaging about 18.5mpg, which I cannot complain about either.

See what you can find in a 96 or 97 as they have a better engine, but more costly to repair. Good luck

Old 07-18-2001, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

well repiars arent gonna be a prob for me. my uncle is a mechanic and could fix whatever goes wrong on the car for me,for free....

i might be able to find a 1996 tahoe for that much,well i hope i can,but its the private auction thing,so maybe.......

but you think it would be a good idea to put the k&n filter in it,and a exhuast for better stuff?

Old 07-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

Your call to put that sort of add-on equipment on. I would drive it for a bit, see what sort of mileage and performance you get, then start adding parts. I noticed my increase when I added the chip (only $88 for a 95, more for Vortec as you have to upgrade the programmer) It resets the timing, air-fule mixture, etc.

Old 07-18-2001, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

you may want to consider the pathfinder. those japenese know how to build vehicles. ever notice that the bodies on those things fall/rust off before the engines go? i have a 93' maxima with 155,000 miles on it. looks brand new. many mistake it for a newer one. runs great, great power, and a tricked system. that is because i take care of it.

many people i know that have explorer's say that they have a lot of problems. depending on the year, the six cylinders were not dependable. many tranny probs. cherokee's, on the other hand, are not bad. they have their downfalls. notorious for tranny probs. if you like the way they look, it's a decent vehicle as long as you take care of it. they hold their re-sale value real well. if you can afford it, i would go for the tahoe. i also know a few people with tahoe's. one of the best vehicles out there. when college is done, that is my first investment.

good luck.

NT

Old 07-18-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have had a Tahoe and an Explorer and I think the Tahoe is waaaaaay better than the explorer!! As far as gas mileage the Explorer sucks a lot of gas and its only a v6 and the tahoe being a v8 got the same amount of mileage!!

Old 07-18-2001, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

Cheavy Blazer

Old 07-19-2001, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

2 of my uncles used to have cheerokes late 80's early 90's neither of them had problems until my one uncle was about to sell his, but it was a minor thing, my other uncles cheeroke ran good until he got hit by a garbage truck, he fixed it a year or 2 later ran good, then got into another accident then sold it hehe. both of them were stick and got pretty good milage i think(for an SUV). he also has a grand cheroke i'm thinkin 95 or 96 it runs good, havent any majopr problems with it, as far as i know.

Old 07-19-2001, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

4x4 explorers and rangers(same thing)..... They ALL have WEAK transfer cases...

I know 5 ppl who have/had 4x4 explorers/rangers All of them had the transfer case blow on them...

Just something to consider... Other than that they are pretty good. My cousin had a 2x4 ranger 5spd 4/0 v6...... fun !!! nothing like 360's at midnight in the middle of town =D

Old 07-19-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Dont get a Ford SUV, too many problems like the Firestone Tire problems, Weak Transfer Cases like jfboy said.

Go with GM, their SUVs are built solid, lots of power, good gas milage, good 4x4 systems. I think The GM SUV's have a lower center of gravity than the Fords. I'd go with a TrailBlazer,Tahoe, or Blazer.

We have a '98 Chev 1500 4x4(similar to a Tahoe), one day I got my ATV stuck in the field out back and my dad came to pull me out, he got to me and said "I hope I make it back, the mud was so deep", so we got the ATV out and we went back into the mud and literally the mud was touching the bttom of the body and almost up to the doors, I was amazed the truck just plowed right through the mud. I love our Chev Truck, it never gets stuck

AT least GM shows their trucks what they can do off-roading in mud like in magazines and TV commercials, I dont see alot of Ford commercials doing this[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2001, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

On another note:

My dads 1999 F2504x4 with a V10 6.8 has been pulling a heavy fiftwheel 6 days a week for 3 years now and the only thing thate we changed is the front pads(once) and a Ebrake cable that broke...