Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need SUV help(i know this isnt about atv's,sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im asking here since alot of oyu prob have suv's or have experince with them(mechanic and such)

which SUV is the best? im gonna get one,wanetd a tahoe,herd they arent very gas effiecent....want a jeep cherokee to,herd they arent bad at all....

so which is the best for.....

milage
cargo space
passanger space
reliability
performance
best value for money
good used

all that stuff.....im gonna get it used,not new(im only 15 1/2 right now) but you know...prob wont be able to spend more than $6000 but im going to a private auction where only dealers are invited to go to,and you could find almost any car you want....

but yeah,peopel help me,thanks alot

Old 07-17-2001, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

explorers are real nice and are good on gas.

Old 07-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what i was thinking, you might be able to get a hold of a 1993 or 1994 explorer or blazer for around that price range. Just watch out for those explorers tires

Old 07-17-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

my uncle bought his 1991 explorer for $2000,he is a mechanic to,so if the car needs something,he could fix it for me,his explorer is good....

but im not sure about explorers,they are very tippy...i want something with alot of cargo room to(like the cherokes) but you know..but thats hwy im asking for opions.....

thanks guys,more opions please

Old 07-18-2001, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

The older grand charokees have lots of problems, up till 98 i believe. the 96 explorer rolls easier then the others so u can get it for cheap(95 is the start of the new "round" body style). Tahoes are nice but they dont have the best gas mileage. all are pretty good. I wan either a 2 door tahoe or an explorer or explorer sport. I too am only 15.

these facts are based on wat i have heard read and seen.\
Hope i helped
Max T

Old 07-18-2001, 02:22 AM
Range Rover

lol...damn, we got enough 15 yr olds in here (i am also 15, 16 oct.8) and i drive 93 jeep wrangler (sahara option...pics on profile) but when i saw your post...i thought u were talkin about the new tahoes (not the old ones) well...the new ones have 2 FI (fuel injectors) per cylinder (i think) which gives u better gas mileage. my dads Z has this..and he get 16-21 mpg (depending on if we go 65 or 90 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) my jeep gets about the same as the truck (16-20) I know that the older tahoes get **** poor mileage (new ones get alot better mileage) the older tahoes get about 12-16mpg (thats the 4x4s) dont know about the 4x2s.

have u thought about an Expeditions?

about that grand cherokees...they get $HITTY gas mileage (espically the all time 4wd ones)

i just threw all of this together (didnt really organize it) its 12:19..what do u expect [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ill post more tomorrow

Lata

Old 07-18-2001, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you're looking seriously at the Jeep Cherokee line, you might want to do a search on consumer reports, or something of that nature. I heard just the other day on the local radio station that the American Motor Association, or something like that, has announced a recal on the Cherokee for a failure in the transmission. Apparhently they have had a lot of them lately slipping from a drive gear, into reverse-both while driving, and also parked. Said something about there have been hundreds of complaints of people being seriously injured, though no fatalities as of yet that they know of. I don't know exactly what year it was, or if it's a string of them in general, but you might want to look into that further-I didn't catch the entire announcement, just the last half or so. Well, I know consumer reports probably isn't the best thing to look at, though it will give you a good idea. It's kind of late right now, and I can't think exactly who you should contact. There is a few safety organizations for vehicles that do this stuff who would tell you for sure. Also, the banks might know-they give loans on vehicles all the time, they might be able to tell you what has been reliable, what hasn't-I'm sure they won't give somebody a full loan to buy a p.o.s rig that is notorious for breakdowns.

As for other SUV stuff, the only ones I've had experience with are the Nissan Pathfinders, and the Toyota Forerunners. They are both pretty nice I guess, but I'm a truck guy myself-they're just too small for me. I liked the Forerunner better of the two, but thats just my own opinion. Also, my sister just bought a brand new Mitsubishi Montero Sport thing. I don't know a whole lot about them, but Car and Driver, or one of those car shows on late at night on TNN gave it a good review, high points over a lot of the other SUV's in the same class. Probably not in your pricerange though.

Best of luck though with the search, hope you find something nice that works out great for ya. Myself, I'm trying to come up with the cash for a new Chev Duramax 3/4ton HD!

Mike

Old 07-18-2001, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

If you are looking to buy new, look into the new Chevy Trailblazer. It's Chevy newest version of the S-10 Blazer, only its bigger and a whole lot more powerfull. Chevy has put their new all aluminum in-line 6 that puts out 275 HP in it. This is the same motor that they run in their Baja trucks. Being that it is a 6 and not an 8, the gas milage should be descent. I don't have any numbers, but I am sure if you go to chevy.com they will have all the specs.

Good luck hunting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2001, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Personally, the Tahoe worked great for me. Although I am not sure what the newer ones get for mileage, but my 95 (pre-Vortec) got about 19-20 mpg. All I did was chip it, and toss in a K&N filter and a Gibson exhaust. It's leaps and bounds more comfortable and reliable than an Explorer, no offense to others. I had a family member with an Explorer, and I thought it was a gutless pile, so did he, eventually. I ended up with a Silverado...for some reason I just keep going back to a truck. Best of luck in your search.

Old 07-18-2001, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

well,as much as i would love a brand new tahoe,no way.......i cant afford it any time soon. im lucky im going to be able to go to this private auction thing and get a better deal....

i wouldnt mind expeditions,but ive looked into them,they just started making them in 1998,so all of them are like $10,000 and up,atleast. i really wish i could get a brand new car,my choice would defintaly be a dodge durango(well im pretty sure i would get that) but i cant get one,only a used one spending up to the $6,000 but at the auction,so prob up to a 96,maybe a 97(depending o nthe car and shape).......

i have herd lots of good thigns about cherokee's,and herd they re very good for cargo spce and such,and i like how they look(although my dad says they are ugly)....but yeah

and that tahoes i would be looking at are like the 1995's and 1996 ones....so dryfly,they give you good milage?