Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

new rubicon!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am either going to buy a new rubicon or a 650 kaw but im leaning towards the honda.how dependable is the new trans in the honda?will it be good for climbing steep hills and towing heavy loads?has anyone had any trouble out of their rubicon?also how does it compare in power against a stock 500 ho??i am a polaris fan at heart but i want something different for a change.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:47 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

I got by far the worst (lemon) Rubicon anyone has gotten yet.. And to tell you the truth, its still a great quad- I just wish mine had undergone better dealer prep. The hondamatic trans is 100% flawless and will pull heavy loads better than V belt trans as they have no slipping parts. THe Kawi 650 is pretty awesome though, its a draw in my book. Ride both and make a wise buy. The honda is more comphy and the Kawi is more sporty.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

who here has the most miles on their rubicon?my friend has started to have troubles out of the trans on his rubicon with only 1000 miles.his would not climb a hill in d1 or d2 but it would in esp.

Old 07-23-2001, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

real4x4, I agree with JRM about riding both. You better ride both machines before deciding on one as they are very different. I'm sure the Rubicon can tow much heavier loads than it is rated for, but the Prairie is rated for over 1,200 lbs, so it won't have any pulling problems either. JRM says the Rubicon is more comfortable. From all I've heard and read, the Prairie is more comfortable and has a softer seat (you see---you have to ride them both so you can decide). It also has a much longer seat (if you like carrying a passenger---I know you shouldn't). The Rubicon is supposed to be close in power to the Sportsman H.O. and has much quicker throttle response, but it is quite a bit slower in top speed. The Prairie 650 has quick throttle response also and is much quicker than a Sportsman H.O. and also has a top speed of several mph more, let alone comparing it to a Rubicon (its about 10 mph faster). Check the other features that you are getting with the Prairie that the Rubicon doesn't offer (they may not matter to you, but there are quite a few) 2-4 wheel drive, locking front differential---this is very important to me for riding in snow or climbing steep terrain, dual piston disc brakes up front, sealed driveline wet brake in rear, digital gas gauge with low warning light, spin on oil filter---its much easier to change the oil on the Prairie, and it will start in gear with the brake applied. It also has a brake light, but the Rubicon may have also, I don't remember. The Prairie is supposed to have an even lower center of gravity than the Rubicon. I can't think of anything where the Rubicon has as an advantage other than a different transmission and in my opinion better looks. The transmission is much more complex and apparently works well, but it would be very expensive to fix off warranty so you better keep your oil clean (the transmission uses engine oil). The Prairie has very bright 45 watt headlights, but the Rubicon has a 3rd light above the front rack. They both have a nice digital gauge package but the Prairie's is not as big as the Rubicon's. The fit and finish is first rate on both, although the Prairie I rode had some sloppy welds on the racks (it was one of the first ones out so hopefully they got a better welder to make the racks now). I'm not bashing the Rubicon (I always liked Hondas). It is a great machine, but it is just evolution. The new quads just keep getting better and are getting more features all the time, but you may ride both and regardless of features, just know one fits you best. Just like cars, we all like different things. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 07-23-2001, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

To comment a little on what jscyoung has touched on.
Top speed on Rubi 55, sportsman ho 65. You racing or riding, hehe, j/k
I replaced the oil in my rubi recently. It was very easy. Just unscrew the bolt, the cover comes off, filter on top of it. Put new one on cover and insert back into hole. Tighten, DONE. Easy.
Rubi starts in gear too when you press the front brake. No brake light, thats a bummer.
The tranny is complicated but rock solid. Only thing I have heard dealers and posters say is that there is a sensor that has been a problem "outside" the tranny and happens in warranty all the ones I heard of.
I rode in the dark last weekend, the lighting was fine. Only issue I had was it was hard to find the camp sight on the sides of the trail, but with the top light on the stearing i just slowed and pointed it off the trail.
Honda does seem to be behind all the new stuff coming out. I personally love my Rubi, but the fact that the new ones all seem to have some nice new features is a bummer.
Its been said alot, "Its a honda, it will last a long time."

Old 07-23-2001, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't used the new big Green machine but have some info regarding a Rubi. I have used mine to move camp trailers, wood trailers, hay trailers and even to pull my Ram a few feet when working on it. It is down on power in D1 - high. Much easier to move things in ESP-1 or D1-Low (I wish it had Low-Low availability) especially when pulling up hill. The stock tires don't do a lot for traction. It is not as fast as the H.O. that I've worked with, but will move you fast enough down the road to get a speeding ticket in addition to unlicensed vehicle. The tranny is much awesome (no slop or delay). Ride is great. I have not had any problems with cooling when plowing deep snow or pulling trailers. No problems other than the whip mount tearing itself apart and off of the rack.

I truly believe that you will be happy with any of the open class machines that you choose. They are all very well constructed and light years better than what was available a few years back.

Old 08-15-2001, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

the kawa 650 doesn't come with a hitch. i think they actually catagories it as a sport utility.

Old 08-15-2001, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

Rubicon sounds nice..

Old 08-16-2001, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

Just read the Canadian "All Terrain" magazine and they had a little blurb suggesting Honda may be working on a larger Ruby, around 650, shiftable 4x4, locking diff, disc brakes and longer legs. If that's the case Honda will finally of caught up with the new Grizz and Kawwi, actually surpassing them because I think they have the most advance auto tranny, already. Waterproof and reliable. I can hardly wait as I want to buy and Honda wasn't a choice with the Grizz and Kawwi out. But you can't beat Honda reliability. Keep your eyes and ears open, I hope it's not a rumour.

Old 08-16-2001, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

ever concider a grizzly 660?