Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 12:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size jumps are there at mx tracks?

Old 07-27-2001, 11:04 AM
Range Rover

If you have to ask, they are too big for you.

Old 07-27-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

<< If you have to ask, they are too big for you. >>

Real informative answer....Maybe the person is looking to get into racing or whatever. He wants to prepare by practicing. Anyways.

Different tracks offer different sized jumps. Some have table tops 30ft long..others have huge doubles in the 40 to 60 ft range.

The problem is that most MX tracks are setup with dirtbikes in mind....It is much much easier to jump a dirt bike than a quad. Interest in quad racing has just started to get bigger...MX for dirtbikes has been around for a long time. In the future, we may see tracks that are catered to quads alone...but that will be some time yet.

Expect long sections of whoops....areas of sand...sharp tight turns...long broad turns.
Most of the time, a rider is not commited to hitting every big jump on the track...there are usually ways around them...sometimes not.

A better answer from the above post would have been to tell you to go to some local races and cheack it out...If possible, visit some of the tracks that would be in your district...and take a look.

In district 3, here in NY, some of the tracks are sand...some wide open fast tracks...and some slower more technical. It's hard to give you an exact measurement in Ft. Everyone does things differently.

Old 07-27-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

The size of the jumps really depends on the track. Our local SX track that i race at has a big variety in jump size. It has lets see,a 90 foot table top,a 50-60 foot table top. A 60 foot or so triple, a couple 20-30 foot doulbes, a 40 or so good double, well well just put i this way, it has a large variety.

Old 07-27-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

It all depends on the track.

One of the tracks in NH in our race series has a 100 foot downhill step jump that no quads will attempt. It is called the Intimitador. Not even Travis Spader attempted the jump last year when he came to the track. And I do not blame him at all.

Most jumps at the tracks we race at are about 4 feet high. How far and how high you go depends on the rider. But every track varies.

I notice that you are from brewster. Not sure where that is, but on Aug 12th there is a quad only race at Walden NY. This is a scheduled race for the NEATVA-MX series, not the regular district series race. If it is not too far for you, come watch and see for your self.

Sorry, after reading the other posts, it makes our tracks seems whimpy. I was talking about the face of the jump, not the distance that you actually jump. All the tracks we race on, the jumps vary on &quot;proper&quot; landing distance. From a few feet to &quot;no one will ever do it on a quad.&quot;

Old 07-27-2001, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

<< In the future, we may see tracks that are catered to quads alone...but that will be some time yet. >>

There is a track here in Mendota, Ill. that is for quads only. It was the host to the first ATV Mega-Jam here in Illinois and all the racers agreed that it was the nicest track they had ever ridden due to it's made-for-quads-only layout. Hopefully this kind of track will spread in the near future.

Old 07-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

<<

<< If you have to ask, they are too big for you. >>

Real informative answer....Maybe the person is looking to get into racing or whatever. He wants to prepare by practicing. Anyways.

>>

exactly what i wanted the info for, thx

Old 07-27-2001, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

i would have to say 70ft. lol so i hear from people in brewster ny lol great reply its a tough one ???

Old 07-28-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I would say at our tracks, the average air is around 35ft. Sure, there are jumps that are 70, to 80, but.. the majority are smaller, around 25-30. Be expecting whoops.. they come small, and they come large.. Just keep it slow and steady the first couple times, until you get the hang of it. Go to your local track(if you have one) on a practice day, get your bike out.. put around the track a couple times, then start rolling faster and faster, until you get the feel of every jump, then once you build your confidence up, you will be one of the fastest guy out there!

Old 07-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

LOL i dout their is 70ft-80fters on any mx track its not big air its raceing i havent ever heard off a 70ft 80ft jump at any mx track i may be wrong but i would have to say you must have a hell of a four wheeler to jump them ??? you must be joking???

Quick Reply: how big are mx jumps?