Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What will the displacement of this new honda high prof. machine be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell are you talking about? Suzuki does what? Hondas engine may make a few more peak HP than the YZ426, but it doesn't have the same 2stroke like feel, so I've heard."Get out of the 80s man" "4strokes are the future of our sport" First off, I'm not "in the 80s" I ride an 80s quad because there is nothing new that would better its performance.Secondly,Why are 4strokes the "future" of our sport? What does a 4stroke do superior to a 2stroke? They make less power beacuse they fire half the amount of times, weigh more, are harder to get power out of and are ALOT more complicated and expensive to work on.I have to rebuild my LT as often as you need brake pads? How the hell would you know? I just did a top end on my LT and I was finished in less than a half hour.Why are 4strokes the "future of our sport" I love 2strokes, they are the perfect design and I won't give that up for some Bureaucratic BS.Get out of the "take what I can get" mindset, the future of our sport is open and determined by us.

Old 07-27-2001, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

it will be around 650
the 450 engine will be put in
a quad but it will be distributed
by curtis sparks racing
and if honda puts the 450 in a quad
it will be highly detuned

Old 07-27-2001, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

LOL...I agree on the fact that 4-strokes are taking over. And I don't see why people are arguing which motor they want in a quad frame. If you want it, build the thing your self or go get a Raptor or DS650. If you want a good quad, give honda time to make a great one like the 400ex. They'll give you a good one now, but if you give them another year the quad they are working on will be great. There is no way that Honda is down in sales. I see just as many brand new 400ex's out there as I o raptors. I went in a Honda - Yamaha dealer last week and saw no 400ex's and 3 Raptors. I was talking to one of the guys there since I knew who he was and asked him why the raptors aren't selling. He said, "Not a many people use the power of the raptor and feel that it is a waste of money to buy that much power when They aren't going to use it. Raptors are good quads, but most of the people prefer the 400ex because they are getting all the power that they need." The 400ex is still in there, and with a few mods will be right with a raptor anywhere. Stock for stock, my bet is a 400ex will beat a raptor in a trail anyday. I'm sure a 300ex would be right there to. A 300ex is underpowered, but has all the power you would need to go through a trail quickly. The 300ex is still a top seller for Honda, so Honda really has nothing to worry about. Give them a year, who knows they may have even already have been working on this for a couple years, but you can't just expect a company to come out with a new atv just because another one came out with a bigger, not always better, quad. Would you rather have a good quad or a great quad?

Old 07-27-2001, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, you know nothing about the details of the CRF, nor have you seen one, nor have you ridden on one. No one but the racers have even raced it or ridden it. And so what if it doesn't have a "2-stroke feel"? whoopdedoo
I happen to like the arm pulling torque of a 4 stroke. Have you not seen in the latest Dirt Wheels? They drag raced a 330R and a YZ426. And guess who won? by almost 1 second the 426. yes i know 1 second-thats not much, but the engine is basically stock. compared to the full out motor modded 330.

Old 07-28-2001, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Why dont you let honda take care of it huh? No matter what you guys argue over, they already made up there minds. And hey whoever y ou are arguing about honda's "crap" engins...hmm lets see now, there is a reason that honda fourwheelers win all the shootouts, and its not because of the engin, its the handling! Any idiot that has raced knows that. Honda's dont produce the MOST POWER, but they ALWYAS produce the BEST combined handling and power.

ryan
00 ds
for now...
comone new honda..hurry it up

Old 07-28-2001, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

Arm pulling torque? If there is a word that DOESN'T describe a 4stroke its arm pulling! You wanna start quoting numbers out of DirtWheels?How about last months issue? Where they took Kory Ellis' Quads, a 250R a 426(440) and a 330R and timed laps, which one turned the fastest lap? Thats right the 250R, a lowly "little" 250 against a "full modded" YZ440.You know why the 426 in this issue put in a faster time in the drags..The 330R was SPINNING its tires, where the 426s spaced out power pulses allow it to get traction.In the real world of more than straight line drag racing on dirt, maximum traction isn't needed and is quite boring.I take the time to educate myself on things that I may come across, and I have done my fair share of reading on the CR450F and it is stated to not have that 2stroke like feel the 426 has, which still pales in comparison to the real thing.

Old 07-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

GaryManilow, I really feal bad for you... hold on, I don't. It's your fault you think that dirtwheels is GOD! and that you think a LT250R is a good quad. The handle like crap to start it all off. 4strokes are actually the feuture of the sport. Are there more 4 or 2 stroke quads in the market? Hmmm. Are 2 strokes possibly going to be banned bc of poloution (and the aweful noise poloution)? Hmm. Tell me, who's right here? Oops, why do i bother ask, you are never wrong!!

About the dirtwheels artical, A they used a TRX(the best) for the 250r right? B they used a YZ(the 3rd world desighn) thumper. Who cares who ran the fastest lap, it was a TRX but what coarse did it run the fastest lap on?

Yes, curse traction, EVERYONE curse traction!! its not cool. Gary, come oover and i will shave the tread of your tires and see how u like that "traction".

Old 07-28-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Its funny how differently people can look at things [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I personally love 4 strokes, theres no doubt the produce more torque. They also produce a nice flat power curve thats easy to ride with/in. I saw a dyno chart over at www.atvriders.net that had a few motors on it, you may want to check it out. The one I noticed was the Banshee and Raptors. I prefer a flat power curve that I dont have to clutch.

I also believe that the 4 strokes are the way of the future. They really have a lot to offer. So what if a 2 stroke only has to be half as big, whats that gain you? Sure, its a little lighter but big deal. The Raptors power plant isnt that heavy and produces tons of power out of the box. More than enough to make up for the weight. Its also more reliable, smoother, and stronger. If the wheels are spinning all of the time whats the point? HP and usuable HP are totally different. The 330R that was tested in Dirt Wheels would be a chore to ride, in the right hands it may yeild better results but to me its not worth the extra effort. Maybe I'm just lazy. Hell, I still like reverse and electic start. My Mojave usually starts first kick but electic start is still nice.

Old 07-28-2001, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

MT400EX...have u even ever rode an LT? sure their no 250r or 400EX when it comes to handling but their not that bad. and not only would my LT destroy you in a race i have beat my friends 400EX and its slightly modded around tracks on my LT. i had to work hard to do it but i did. so don't go bashing quads that u hardly know anything about.

Old 07-28-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt the 330R would be a chore to ride. Being a big bore 2 stroke, it undoubtedly has alot of torque.

If LT250R's are such bad quads, why did Kory Ellis start racing the GNC's on one? couldn't have been that bad huh?

The great thing about 2 strokes is they're light (YES it does matter), and easy and cheap to modify and work on.

The way things are going, it does look like 4 strokes are going to take over, but it doesn't have to be this way. Look at Honda's EXP-2 engine, it produces less emissions than a 4 stroke, and its a 2 stroke. With some R&D, we could all be on 2 stroke quads again, but because of the hippy enviromentalists, I don't think it will ever happen.

Its pretty sad if you ask me.

Quick Reply: What will the displacement of this new honda high prof. machine be?