Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A Little Factoid YOU should know...Tire/Rim weight

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always wondering how much more aftermarket wheels/tires weighed than the stockers. Well, the wife got me a set of 6 ply Razr's on Douglas .190 for my B-day. I decided I'd weigh them all; the rears weigh 5 lbs more than stock and the fronts are 4.4 more lbs than stock. So, this little upgrade(?) quickly added 20 lbs to the 400. That's OK I guess because I think I need the 6 PLY for the type of riding I do. I can notice the weight on the front when I wheelie because the front really wants to go back down. I didn't notice a power difference, but I only went a couple miles so far. Hope it's woth it. OUT

Old 08-03-2001, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info
i'm gettin 20-11-8 6-ply razrs on black labels for my 250ex
those stockers suck

Old 08-03-2001, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

just wanted to let you know that unsprung mass (wheels) take away, on average, 7x the amount of weight of sprung weight (you). This is due to the motor having to turn them. So if you gained 10lbs of weight in the rear with the wheels its like riding with 70lb person on your quad slowing accerleration.

Old 08-03-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well, seems there is a little confusion of terms here.

Whether weight is "sprung" or "unsprung" has nothing to do with acceleration.

Unsprung weight does, however, have to do with how well the suspension is able to react to changes in terrain - off topic.

Rotational inertia will affect acceleration though - as briefly referenced above, heavier objects resist changes in motion.

Since rotational inertia is affected much more by how far the weight is from the axis of rotation, it cannot be directly correlated to the amount of weight added. The calculation becomes MUCH more complicated than simply saying that "X" amount of rotating weight affects acceleration by "Y" amount.

For instance, if you added 10 lbs of weight to the axle it would affect the acceleration far less than adding 10 lbs to the outer diameter of the tires. But.... Both amounts of weight are equally "unsprung" and would affect the suspension's ability to track the ground relatively equally.

Where did this factor of 7 come from? If it came from the auto drag racing world, the factor would be much less in the ATV world due to the smaller diameter tires.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it did come from the auto world. I guess I should of noted that there. My point was that most people don't understand that adding tires that are, for instance 10lbs heavier than stock, is not like adding 10lbs of equipment to the quad. This hurts the performance of the bike much more than that.