Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Utility ATV Dragracing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about drag racing utility ATV's. Every year at our County Fair they always have ATV drag racing its mostly Banshees and Blasters and Sport and racing fourwheelers, But they do have a class for utility ATV's. And was thinking about entering my Fourtrax 300 4x4. And I was just wandering if anyone had any tips on racing utilitys. The track is about 60 yards long and I was needing some tips on racing.

Thanks Coltrane

Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well it's pretty simple for utilitys , just hold it wide open and shift as fast as you can.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:28 PM
RIP Dear Friend

You better hope its just a utility class for Fourtrax 300 4x4's. If they allow all utilitys even a Recon, Timberwolf or Bayou 220 your going to get beat. I am not knocking a Fourtrax 300 4x4 because I have one and it has been a real good machine for how we use it. It just wasn't designed for that type of riding, drag racing. Chet

Old 08-15-2001, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

For the holeshot- Get in the highest gear that your quad will let you without bogging from the start. 2nd- Lean forward, hold your front brake, rev up the motor and let go as soon as the light or flag drops. Good luck and if you decide to race let us know how you do.

Old 08-15-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

No no heres what you do. Put it in 2nd then hold down on the shifter, rev it up when the flag drops let up. This is just like having a manual clutch.

Old 08-15-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well I knew to do that but thats how I ruined the clutch in my recon so I wouldn't recomend it.

Old 08-15-2001, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I raced a TRX300 4x4 last weekend. I would put it in second gear to start off. If there is a tree and they are running .400 lights you should take off after the second light goes off. That provided the best results for me. When you are getting ready to take off you should hold the brakes and give it some gas. Give it as much gas as you can before it starts to move. Never hold the shifter up because that could tear up your transmission if you hold down the gas and just let go of it. It could also burn up your clutch when you just hold it up. Just make sure when you are going down the track to wind it up all the way before you shift. That will give you a better time.

Old 08-16-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Holding the shifter up or down won't hurt a thing. I've did it thousands of times. It won't burn the clutch as long as he doesn't do it to often.

Old 08-16-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Just hope no one has anything trick. I have a '93 350 4X4 polaris, still running front and rear racks. It has a pipe, carb, head shaved, rad valve, and circle track K&N filter. Sound like much, nah. I also have a big bore 250x with full port, huge cam, $400 carb and many other high dollar, go fast parts. Running 110 octane Torco in the X and 93 Amoco in the polaris, the X would go down in defeat no matter who was riding. Even in trails the nimble little X couldn't the the awesome exceleration of the polaris. Finally I had enough. Why is the motor that I race being beat by my four-by? The 250 is by no means slow. Many 400ex owners went home crying after the 273cc big bore beat them while wheeling in the lower 4 gears. I decided I had one last resort before dismantling the engine and installing a higher compression piston and .5in stroker crank-Alcohol. My carb went through FTZ's shop once again, this time with the purpose of making the X an alcoholic. I was ready. I got my friend that is very familiar with the polarass to race me. The 4X4 shot off the line while I pulled a PRO 5.0 wheelstand and grabbed third in the air to keep from overrevving. As the front tires lifted about a foot off the ground as I hit 4th, I was catching him. When I laid it in fifth, I inched past him and won by a bike length in the eighth mile. Did I mention that the polaris would also holeshot my banshee and the shee would be behind until 3rd gear? Or that the 600lb farm rig could lift the front tires with my 115lb girlfriend sitting on the front rack? Or that a handfull of throttle when the speedo reads 25mph yields a heartstopping wheelstand. My point to this long reply is to show that the utility quads can be just as fast or faster than the sport ones. Hopefully your competetion isn't as fierce as my 350L (which honestly scares me more than the banshee) is.
Good Luck
AlkyBurninX
Richard Sanders

Old 08-16-2001, 01:26 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I think I would just look at KILLER250R post again and do what he says if you can. Chet

Quick Reply: Utility ATV Dragracing