Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

dumbest problem i have ever had, and not been able to fix, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, here is my problem.

I have a 2000 400ex, and on the left rear hub, three of my nuts would not stay tight (to hold the tire on) So anyway, i took the last on off and took the tire off, and then i bought 4 new studs and 3 new nuts to go on there, (that was like 35 bucks, what a rip off)

any way i have ridden on them like 3 times since i replaced everything. I tighten them up with a breaker bar before i ride, and then about 1/2 way through the ride, they are less than hand tight, So i havta run all the way back up to the truck and tighten them up and everything.

This clearly is the dumbest thing i have ever been stumped on, anyone with an IQ of .01 (cause right now, that looks to be smarter than myself) help me out. Thanks

Derek

Old 08-30-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I don't mean to be rude but have you been putting them on the right way ?

Also if that isn't the problem here's what sometimes happens. When you drive your fourwheeler with the rim loose it can stretch out the holes and then the rim will never stay tight again. Good luck , Zeebo

Old 08-30-2001, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

Go and buy a small tube of blue loctite and put a small amount on each stud then torque them down, Its strong enough to hold them in place but not so strong that you will need an impact to get them off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2001, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

Along with loctite ,make sure the nuts are torqued at least to factory specs. Yes check wheels egged holes.good luck

Old 08-30-2001, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, i do have have it on the right way. I thought about putting on some locktight, but my neighbore put that stuff on his axle nut and they couldnt ever get it off, so i was trying to steer clear of that stuff, but i suppose just a little bit wouldnt hurt. Thanks alot.

Old 08-30-2001, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

I will say that my 400ex does not do that...But if yours keep coming loose, I would say that you should safety wire them...just to be safe. A tire coming off at speed would be no fun at all.

Old 08-30-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Try not to use red loctite if you do use it, use the blue instead. But there is another solution to that problem, Use an electric or air impact wrench to tighten the nuts. The chattering of the impact wrench will tighten the bolt much better then pure torque from a wrench. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Try this. I had to take my back right tire off like 2 times already and I noticed that there is a certain way that it goes in. All 4 nuts have one edge kinda rounded, the rounded side goes in toward the middle of the 4-wheeler. There's a hole in the rim that the rounded side kinda fits inside of. That could be your problem. Or it could be slightly stripped. The plastic round things at the end of my handelbars have been coming loose pretty often on my 400EX! This guy told me to put Loc-Tite on them and that should stop it. But they way yall talk, its not good for it. I mean, I want to be able to get it off so that If I ever have to change handelbar grips then it should be no problem. Would yall recommend Loc-Tite on handelbar ends???

Old 08-31-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well let me clear things up a little on loctite, Red loctite is for permanent placement, Which means you need a torch to get the bolt back apart, Blue however is used when you want to be able to service the item again, as in hand tools or air tools will take it back apart, they also make a green which is a sleeve retainer that you can also take back apart, The blue and red both work great, just dont use red on anything that has to come back off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2001, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

The little rounded part on the nut and rim is tapperd so they fit into each other! lol

Quick Reply: dumbest problem i have ever had, and not been able to fix, help