Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HL Rubicon 550 Big Bore and Performance Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I picked up my Rubicon from HL on Sept 7th. I had previously had their first HL Performance Kit installed and I just recently had the HL Big Bore Kit installed. Here is my take.

While stock my Rubicon was put on the HL dyno and got a peak of 34 ft/lbs at what looks like about 2800 RPM (its a chart with lots of skinny lines) and 20.9 HP at around 3250 RPM.

HL Performance Kit - The kit contains a K&N Filter, Outerwears, Dynojet kit, and Big Gun Exhaust. This kit added a ton of low end power, right where the Rubicon needed it. This made the Rubicon turn my 28s with ease in the thickest of mud all at 1/4 throttle. No more high RPMs needed to turn the tires like you have to do with a stock Rubicon. If your Rubicon is having trouble turning tires, this will fix your problems. This was again put on the HL dyno and got a peak of 38.5 ft/lbs at about 1650 RPM (very low...tons of power) and HP 19.4 at about 3000 RPM. Yes the HP did go down. This kit is NOT made for top end, it is made for low end power to turn monster tires. This kit achieves its goal and is awesome.

HL Big Bore Kit - The kit is a 550 kit, but I did more than just the big bore. I also got the HL Port and Polish Package and Nik-a-Sil Cylinder. The power from all of this together is unreal. I can now do full wheelies in high range with 28 inch Outlaws on. I was not expecting this kind of power from this kit, needless to say I am more than happy with the outcome. The Port and Polish makes your head more efficient and my jetting stayed way down. It peaked at 44 ft/lbs at around 1600 RPM. I don't remember the HP, but I do know it picked some up.

As a point of reference the HL Monster Honda 550 (http://www.highlifter.com/quads_detail.php3?detail=21), which belongs to Scott ran 48 ft/lbs of torque on the same dyno. Take a look at the list of mods though. It has an aftermarket cam and is stroked.

I will try to get my dyno charts up on the web ASAP. As far as availability you will have to call High Lifter. I do know that they are still waiting on some venders for things but they will have a time frame. From what I understand they have 17 HP kits ready to ship.

Old 09-18-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info it sounds interesting. I will check into this for mine. What is the cost for all this work and is there any significant mileage increase?

Old 09-18-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey TEX,
Man I wish we had someone around here to do that kind of work.
Hell,people around here are scared to take thier bikes in
for an oil change or warrenty work.
Ya never know whats gonna be wrong with it when you get it back.

Asking for a friend

Have they come up with a locker kit yet for the RUBY?

And I seem to remember Ruby owner's talking about
hitting the breaks or tapping the breaks to get the power to the other wheel when needed.Is there any truth to that?

Is there any other power kits for the RUBYS?

TIA

Old 09-19-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

It is very tough to find good engine work people. You can send your jug and head to High Lifter and they will do all the work there. You will have to get the jug off and the head off yourself. As far as a performance kit they are pretty much bolt on and the jetting is all you have to mess with. I myself am scared of my local dealers!

The locker is not out yet and it is out of HL's hands. It is in Detroit's (companies name) to produce the product.

The brake thing might work with working brakes and stock tires. With 28s the brake thing doesnt work well. Due to all my water riding my front brakes dont work unless I clean them...and then they last for 2-3 water rides.

As far as other power kits what are you looking for? The simple one would be the Performance kit (filter, jets, and muffler).

Old 01-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

But what was your top end speed on your Rubi with the kits? It couldnt hurt it right?

Old 01-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it does hurt top speed. The kit is designed with ONE thing in mind...pulling monster tires. My top speed is now 47(as read on the oem speedo) with stock tires. I have not checked it with a GPS yet. I dont ever go above 30 anyway so this doesnt bother me. I will say that after all these mods I turn these tires easier than any other quad I have been on.