Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r vs 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I know this has been asked before but my friend just bought a 89 250r with a pro design cool head and fmf pipe and silencer. It also has other various bits and pieces. I have a 400ex with a fmf pipe, k&n filter and jet kit. My question is which one should be faster in a drag race on pavement. I'm asking because we raced yesterday and the 400 would get ahead from the start to 5th gear by about 5 to 5 quad lengths only when the 250r would get in 6th gear would it catch up and pass the 400. we raced several times and swapped quads several times trying to eleminate the must be the rider issue. The results were always the same. Neither one of us had ever ridden a 250r before but I have a quadzilla and we have both ridden various banshees so we are familiar with how to ride 2 strokes but the 250 seemed to have absolutely no low end power and be very tricky to launch off the start without bogging or just spinningthe tires. I was just wondering if that is just normal or if something might be wrong with his. We both thought the race would turn out much differantly and I expected to have to drag the raptor out to shut him up.(I hoped the quadzilla wouldnt be required,no need to humilate him lol) Before all you r owners get in a uproar I was just kidding about that last part but racing in a straight line was his idea. So you dont have to start all the talk about but on a track.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

the 250r goes fast either way, than a 400ex

Old 09-22-2001, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

that 250r should be goin a little faster but i don't know. my LT would blow away my friends 400EX from start to finish and my only real mod was a pipe and no airbox lid. he had no airbox lid and his spark arestor cut out and we were on pavement.

Old 09-22-2001, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

Masterofdiaster, that was a sh!tty response. No usefull information whatsoever.
When I had my 01' 400EX, Racing a 250R yielded the same result as you describe, over and over.
I think most people dont like to say so, or admit it, but the 400EX IS a fast bike. No doubt about it.

I cant help but wonder if my strong ol' 350X with a supertrapp would keep up with the 400... It would be close for sure. (If I could keep the front end on the ground)

Old 09-22-2001, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

YOU SOB MAKING FUN OF THE 250R !!! @@@@ YOU ! HAHAHA NO I am joking !!! lol

But seriously my 88 250R either spins uncontrolably or bogs like crazy. I sit as far back as I can on the seat to still be able to reach the bars and all that happens is SPINNING, granted I am not a huge rider 135lbs. Heres a tip for the next race, slip the clutch off the line dont pop it or it will just contiue to spin like hell,unless......... you put on some hoosier tires then it might be a different story ! lol back to the clutch sliping all the drag cars do it so they dont spin, try it !! Zeebo.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info I guess I did kinda drag out my question. I just wanted to know if the 250 had that lightswitch powerband like a banshee or if something was wrong with his,since neither of us had any previous experience with them and with all I have heard about them I guess I just expected it to be easier to control.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

your 350X should be able to beat a 400ex pretty easy...

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2001, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

well im not trying to bash the 400 here too much, but damn that thing is slow. theres a couple around here and boy do they just lack speed. the lt can blow any 400 away around here, and i wont even tell you about how bad the 250R takes them, the only quad around here that gives my R any problem is my banshee that i sold to my friend, haha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2001, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bone stock, my 88 was faster than my two buddies 400's. They both had pipes, K$N's, and jet kits. It was not a runaway, but definately faster. The 400 seems like they launch better, but that is it. I feel that as far as actually riding these machines on track or trail, the EX's very user friendly power output makes it better for most riders. The stock 250R motor has a very linear power output with not "hit". It can be modified to run just about anywhere in the powerband. Mine has a very strong mid-range hit and pulls hard with a good top-end overrev. It is not easy to ride, but it is the delivery that I prefer.
I would say the R you raced probably needs a little help in the jetting department at best, or fresh top-end at the worst.

Old 09-22-2001, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

There is something wrong with the R. It does have a lightswitch powerband but it is much stronger than the banshee on the low end. I had some carb problems that would make my machie bog on the bottom end unless I reved it high and dropped the clutch. I changed carb, the stock carbs have problems with the float valve seat leaking that causes the bike to run rich from idle to 1/4 throttle, this will effectively kill you low end power. I put a nice new carb on there and once I got it jetted right and now it is a wheelie monster, I could never get the bike to wheelie before.

Quick Reply: 250r vs 400ex