Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex nerf bar questions????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do nerf bars get in the way while trail riding? It seems like they would be prone to catching sticks and stumps (whiich is not good). I am planning on running some hare scrambles. I think they might put me at a disadvantage in them. I really like the idea of them for jumping (which I like to do a lot). Also, if I get some I am leaning towards AC propegs. Is there better ones out there or are these pretty good? I really didn't see that much difference in any of the brands. So who has what, do you like them, and what kind of riding do you do? Thanks ahead of time for the help. CJ

Old 09-24-2001, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

I like nerf bars for trail riding, they're helpfull for gliding past trees and other obstacles. The idea of stumps and brush snagging on the nets bothered me at first also, but I haven't had a problem...as long as you keep them somewhat snugly adjusted...just enough to allow you full range of motion on your shifter and brake pedal.
I prefer the Graydon Proline Nerf Bars. Held next to most others, I think you'll like the quality put into the welds, brackets, webbing, etc on the Graydons better.
I had a pair of steel and aluminum DG nerf bars, and my personal opinion was that both had less quality and craftsmanship than the Graydons. At the races, I see many fewer failures with the Graydons than the others. Not that it's a frequent thing, but I have seen the AC pro-peg units fail, cracking at the one-piece aluminum peg. The Graydons have a separate replaceable STEEL cross-member in the front in-between the two aluminum nerfs, where they need more strength. They also are adjustable to the width of your quad, allowing you to go wider when and if you have wider axles, a-arms, etc.
We always use our nerf bars as a place to lift the quad from, one guy on each side of the quad, lifting only from the nerf bar, especialy when in the narrow enclosed trailer to turn them sideways. I would bet money that you would never have a failure with the Graydons...a good investment.

Old 09-24-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

You should definitely have them. Check your track, you have to have them to race many mx and hare scramble races.

I have a 400ex with the ACs and one with the DG pro-peg. I like the DG pro-peg because they come with new steel pegs that are twice as wide (less pressure on your foot per square inch when landing), and are positioned 1/2" lower and 1" further back. Gives you more room for your boots. I am not up on all of them for a comparison.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2001, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. If stumps and limbs are not a problem then I am definitely going to get some. The hare scrambles I would race only require helmets and boots. It just makes sense that your feet are MUCH more likely to stay on the footpeg if there is more area to keepthem on. I like the idea of keepig the stock black back guards, so I quess propegs are out. Graydon seems to be well liked and in my opinion looks just as good or better than the AC. Has anyone else had any experience with either the AC or Graydon? Nothing against DG, but most people around here have them and I have heard about some problems with them(toughness). Thanks, CJ

Old 09-24-2001, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

I have the Standard AC Alloy nerfs, and they are, in my opinion, better than the DG's I have had. With the standard nerf's you can keep the little black heel protector thingy's, but mine eventually broke in a few places due to puting weight on them durning MX