Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

3x4 or 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not as bad as I first thought, they do ride better than the 589's but they dont provide the traction for most surfaces. I am most dissapointed with the size. If you get some, get some 27's.

Old 10-05-2001, 05:47 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Do not belive what folks say. A LOCK FRONT END HELPS! IT IS FAR SUPERIOR!

Old 10-05-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

<<kevin-Have you researched the new Honda dif.? It sends power to the wheel with traction, not the one that is slipping. I have tried this myself, by hanging one wheel off in the air. THIS THING IS FOR REAL! The steering doesn't fight you at all (except at very low speed on hardpack). So, the Honda "3X4" is superior to any unlocked or even a locked "4X4".>>

YZGUY, if you're referring to the differential found in the Rancher 4x4s, this is a great example of something that works perfectly "in theory", but in the real world, its still not much better than an open differential. My neighbor owns a Rancher 4x4 ES, and we've gotten that thing stuck enough times so that I've definitely seen the front tire that's an inch in the water spinning madly, while the tire that's firmy stuck just sits there, lifeless. I hate to plug Polaris on the Honda board, but with the differential locked, both tires were definitely spinning (while I was sitting in the same hole my friend got stuck in), and sure enough, I crawled out of it. Granted, I have bigger stock tires on my Xplorer than the Rancher does, and also a good deal more power, but that doesn't really matter when you've only got 3 of your 4 wheels spinning, and those three have no traction, whatsoever.

Old 10-05-2001, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

<<3. Polaris Sportsman-It has all 4 wheels available when its working correctly, but it seems to not work correctly more often then others. Way too dependant on electronics for proper operation, and a mechanically complicated design. This system does not allow for 4 wheel engine braking when going down steep hills, there for making it the least desireable 4x4 design of all!>>

GrizRick, actually, the ONLY thing that's electronic about Polaris' front end is the electromagnet, which is engaged when you flip the switch. There's no sensors, no computers, just an electic circuit.
A good explanation of the whole thing is here.
Just thought I'd clarify that.
Also, its quite possible to have all four tires providing engine braking while descending hills, but its not as simple as just going down the hill, like with other 4-wheelers.

Old 10-05-2001, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Grizzjeeper,
I really like my Griz. Now that I have the front end locked, it does just about everything I need of it. The stock dif was a joke! It always did alright for me in mud, but it the tight off camber stuff when I would be lifting front wheels off the ground, I could always count on the wheel in the air spinning uselessley. I'm happy enough with it, that I don't really have an urge to go buy the new Griz. I'm not a big fan of an IRS. I prefer the solid dependability of a straight axle. Its been a great quad. Haven't had any problems with it that I didn't cause directly, either through incorrect mods, or just being stupid.

Campy,
I don't like electronics in a drivetrain. I'm not a big fan of the electric 4WD engagement on my Griz either. I would much rather have a shifter, that I have to mechanically engage. That way I know its engaged and working. If I get some electric "quirk" going on, I loose 4WD altogether, or else I'm stuck in 4WD with no way to go back to 2WD, and no way to manually back it up. I've never had a problem with it, and its very easy to use. But I would still rather have a shifter.

Rick