Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

the long-term 440ex review

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Ive had my 440 done now for a month (guess that really isn't long term) and I said I would give another impression post of it.

The bike revs so fast and the midrange hits so hard youd think it was a 2 stroke. It doesn't quite have the banshee hit but definately a good one. For the people that said the 440 would rev slow cause the piston is a few milligrams heavier, well they must not of rode one. The thing revs faster than you can shift.

This midrange hit is also likely due to the XR cam, which does take some off the bottom end. The motor takes some getting used to. I am now finally getting pretty good at wheelies again. The bikes completely different powerband seemed to make doing an extended wheelie much harder, but now its easy again. If the rear tires get traction, plan on the front end wheeling up through the first 3 gears while sitting on the gas tank and without a tug on the bars.

I was worried at first because it seemed to feel pretty flat on the extreme bottom end. But I would say it didn't lose much at all. Still a good hill climber, just likes to be reved a bit more than stock. I am willing to sacrifice a little bottom end for the mid range hit the XR cam produces.

Races: Mine vs 400ex with E-series pipe, drilled airbox, k&n, jetted. I pulled away from it pretty good, couple quad lenths. Only time I dont gain on it is when were both topped out, because we both have the same gearing.

Mine vs 400ex with Yoshimura pipe, k&n, jetted. Same results as above.

Mine vs stock raptor. This raced was done on the road, both riders same weight and were about the same ability. We stayed EXACTLY even through the my first 4 gears and as i started to top out in 4th the raptor started pulling away and then continued pulling away (obviously because of the gearing allowing it to reach a faster top speed). We raced again with similar results. If i adjusted my gearing the raptor would probably pull on my at first and then we would be both topping out at the same top speed.

Well thats it, for about $500-600 bucks its the best mod for the money. Now all i need is a pipe and some more internal mods. I am happy for now though,

Old 09-30-2001, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good
You should go up to a 16 tooth , and get a pipe and filter and maybe you might be able to waste that raptor.

Old 09-30-2001, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't already have a pipe get a Sparks X-6. Then get a Keihn FCR 39mm carb, this should really wake your quad up! You should be able to beat a stock raptor by several lengths if the engine is set up right.

Old 09-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hylton400ex, have you tried any other carbs? Or is this just something you heard? I'm not trying to say you dont know what you're talking about, but am asking your opinion.

I have a friend that HAD a sweet 330EXR(330EX motor in 250R frame)and it had a Lectron on it. Talk about easy? The only thing you have to do is turn a screw and its jetted. The only negative to this carb is alot of maintenence. It has to be cleaned more often than normal carbs, but the assembly and disassembly is easiest.

Also, I have heard nothing but good things about the Edelbrock. I know it comes with a price, but after having other products with their name on it, I know it HAS to be good.

Riceburnin, did the XR cam help your bike? I am thinking seriously about a 400ex, and I would probably get a pipe, cam, and piston first. I was thinking about a Web Cam, but they're pretty expensive. Thanks,

Old 09-30-2001, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Tell you what I saw a couple of weeks ago. I saw 2 different 416's beating Raptors. I'm not sure what else was done as far as carb work, cam etc. All I know is they both claimed they were only 416cc. I was very impressed. I had the girls 400EX that day so I didn't get to race them on the DS. I'm sure it would have been very close though.

Old 10-01-2001, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know if the XR actually gave the bike more power but it did move the powerband from down low to more mid and top end. Kinda give and take relationship. Which if your use to a 2 stroke I would recommend doing the mod.

For all the people that say some 416 kits are faster than 440 kits, well their probably right. Because guys are spending a grand on the 416 kit that includes a wild cam, ported, polished, high compression (12:1-13:1),etc. But if you do the same style kit the 440 will have a bit more power. But you have to understand that the 440 is only 5% bigger than a 416. So say the 440 kit produces 5% more power than an equal 416 kit, your only looking at like 1-2hp increase due to displacement. Really were your making power with these kits is in the increased compression along with a better cam. I feel my bike would gain greatly by the addition of a full exhaust system, so that will be the next upgrade.

Old 10-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

If I may, I highly recommend the Yoshimura RS-3 Race system. That pipe will make it alot more powerful.

Old 10-01-2001, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Riceburnin You might want to look into the Edelbrock QwikSilver Carb http://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/index.html

Old 10-02-2001, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Me and some of my buddies were doing some experimenting last week drag racing.I have stock gearing and we were racing on a road.

3 Piped 400's and a stock 250r i had at least 4 or 5 quad lengths on them.

Banshee bored .40 over we were even untill top gear and i pulled away a quad length.

Stock Raptor He pulled the holeshot i caught up in 3rd gear and i had a couple lenghts on him buy the time we topped out.

Your exhaust is definetly holding you back any full system would make a big differnce now.

Old 10-02-2001, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

thats seems hard to believe that you pulled away from the banshee and raptor in the top end. The gearing limits the 400 to around 65-68 mph no matter how much power your making. This is the max speed at rev limit, unless you increase the diameter of the tire. A raptor and banshee tops out at 72-74, so to keep up with them topped out, you would have to change gearing or tires, more power just wont give you more top speed, just be able to out accelerate them. I am not trying to say your lieing, i just dont see how its possible.

Quick Reply: the long-term 440ex review