Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Chains or Studs for winter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think would be better??....chains or studs??, I guess it depends on what you ride on......I will be riding on snow trails, driveways and roads(with snow on them, I know its bad to ride with studs when the road is dry)

What would be a good choice??, I'm thinking studs......they will be cheaper too, would the studs give more traction in deep snow??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks

Old 10-02-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Get a set of V bar chains, those will kick **** and they are way better then studs for traction,in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Studs all the way. Chains hit the fenders after you get the wheels spinning so fast.

Old 10-02-2001, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

not if you buy the right size

Old 10-02-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Need4Speed......sorry Killer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], I always wanted studs, I just wanted to see what you guys suggested.

How deep of a tread can the studs go into??...like screw into??, I guess you can get all different kinds and sizes right??

Old 10-02-2001, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

i would say go with the chains but on your tires maybe studs would be better although on soft snow they wouldnt be much different but on ice they would kick @$$

just my opinion
on the balloon type tires i'd go with chain

Old 10-03-2001, 08:16 AM
Range Rover

The First year I rode in the winter I bought those v-bar chains. They did work pretty good but tey did seem to hit the fenders. I bought the right size and even used braces in the middle of the rims to try and hold them on better but they still did hit the fenders. Last year I went with studs in my spidertracks. They worked great too. I rode on snowmobile trails in the woods and it seemed to work well. On ice the studs ripped. It all depends on what you are riding. If you are riding at high speed studs work better. But for better traction go with chains if you can take the punding your fenders will take.

Old 10-03-2001, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

Why in the world would the chains hit the fender? If the chains are properly matched to the tire size it should be a snug fit right??

Old 10-03-2001, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Joe- its the gravitational force that makes the chains fly out......it's just like when you throw around a string or something, it seems like it wants to get away from what its touching. Chains are the same way on tires. Even if the chains are tight, they'd find some room to strech out and cause the gravitational force.

Old 10-03-2001, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I've tried the v-bar chains and the traction is great, but you guys are right, they can fly out and hit the fenders. They especially hit in turns if you have them on the fronts. Of course, you could just put them on the back, but that's a trade-off that might make studs better.Chains are good for slow speeds if you just want to get where you're going or plow snow. Studs are good for lakes or packed, icy skidoo trails, but I don't think they help as much in deeper snow.
A couple tips if you do use chains:
1. Let some air out of the tires first, then air them back up after the chains are on to tighten them up.
2. Use lots of really stiff rubber tie-downs (not the stretchy bungie cords) inside and out to hold them tight; and don't leave the hooks against the sidewalls.
3. Be warned! Chains can make a real mess if they come off at high speeds and wrap around your axle or suspension!! Secure them well and safety wire the clamp.

Quick Reply: Chains or Studs for winter???