Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r Frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001 | 09:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

has anyone out there had a 250r frame reinforced with gussetts on all the weaker spots if so where was it done and who do recomend. My frame is fine now im just taking preventive measures so i dont have to by an aftermarket frame later. thanks for your help

Old 10-18-2001 | 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

i dont have one but i have been around r's for a long time and have seen a few. where the steering stem mounts is a good idea to reinforce, the motor brackets, the area above the footpegs, i would install a removable subframe, shock mounts. i know i have missed a few places i havent seen it done but somehow i would try to reinforce behind the arms on the bottom rail. skid plates will also strengthen a frame.

Old 10-18-2001 | 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 250R and had to have the frame gusseted due to the abuse of MX.

I shopped around for a good welder and to say the least, it was difficult. Most places never heard of a quad/ATV or really care for my business. There was a local welder that I contacted, but he came in second place. Where I did go was to the local custom Harley place. They not only fix motorcycles, but also build those customer 3 wheelers out of bikes. So I knew they were familiar with motorcycle frames and what not. Another reason I went there was the work ethic of the owner. I tested him on a few things, such as “Just hack that part off, I will clean it up.” His reply…”I will do it, but if I take it off, I will do it right.” To me that is important. Doing the job correctly.

Now this place had really no clue on where to weld so I had to search all over the internet for pics of 250Rs that were gusseted. I also looked at a few quads at the track to see where they had theirs done. I may have gone overboard, but here is where I had problems and had gussets put in:

The top shock mount rail. Here one side was completely broken. I had the welder place a new piece of steel from 3 inches below the shock mount to 3 inches above the shock mount. This was done on 3 sides of the rail.

The frame piece between the two shock mounts. Here I had angle brackets put in from the down rail tube to the cross member.

Top steering loop. I had small angle brackets placed in the corners. While I did not have any cracks here, it was preventive maintenance.

On my frame there is a piece of steel welded to the frame across the entire belly. It came that way when I brought it. Then lower frame rails where cracking so I had gussets put in all over the place.

Where the sub frame meets the engine rails at the bottom. I had angle brackets welded in place on both sides. On the right side, you need to go lower so the rear brake can still mount. I did not and needed to grind it down so it would fit.

Foot pegs area. Here the cracking was on the sharp curve part of the frame rails. What I did was have the welder place another piece of steel from the point where the sub frame meets the frame to under the foot pegs.

I had all this done and everything was fine until I toasted the tranny. Then the motor mounts let go. Either it was from the frame being too rigid or the extra vibration of racing with no tranny oil. In any event, I lost the two front motor mounts and one lower. I had a friend weld up some extra support in these places. So far the quad has made it the season without a problem. But I will know for sure when I tear it down this winter.

When I went to the welder to have all this stuff done, he started to right in on some paper. He quickly put the paper down and grabbed a permanent marker. We went over the entire frame and I showed him exactly how I wanted everything. He drew lines and such so he would know where to weld what. I was very pleased with his work. Even he said, if the frame lets go now, then there is something else wrong. I probably added at least 10 pounds of steel and weld, but the extra weight is worth it.

Old 10-18-2001 | 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

woods250r,
I had my frame done while I was rebuilding the quad. You can see it in the Dune Zone under Project SandTrax Part 2. You can go directly to Part 2 by clicking

HERE

Mike330R

Old 11-09-2001 | 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

wow, thats your quad? i just got done reading it and checking it out before i came to this forum! Did you like timmyboys and there work? Will they do my frame if i mail it to them? what was the price of the powdercoating and reinforement?

Old 11-09-2001 | 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Tim does great work! He will do your frame but he is swamped with work so it may take a while. I think everything cost me about $500.00 but I am not sure of the exact price.

Old 11-09-2001 | 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

if he's swamped i might just wait till after summer and do a full rebuild like you, and plus i'll have about $2,500 more because of summer job so i can build my dream R! I've seen those pics and it looks SOOO awesome! the beauty and quality of the frame just looks better than new! does tim do mail in frames?