Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

200sx problem no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand, for some reason my 200sx is so gutless it lost all top speed and acceloration this has been gradual and after not riding for a week its really noticable even my dad said it has lost power

he thinks its a clutch but he doesnt know which one
please help, if its the clutch is it the centrifical or the manual clutch and would i only need new friction plates?

i need to know as im going atving on sunday and i hope to get it fixed tomorrow

thanks in advance
mike

Old 10-19-2001, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

come on someone has to know whats wrong i cant hit 40mph thats just sad
i used to get 48-50 no problem
ive also noticed the clutch slipping on wheelies

i need answers please

Old 10-19-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

COME ON SOMEBODY HELP THIS GUY OUT !

Old 10-20-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Well if the engine doesnt sound bad, its your clutch.
Does your engine idle ok?, no bogging, when you hit the throttle?.

If your engine is ok, then its gotta be the clutch, take off the right side of the tranny case, and there will be the clutch basket, with the plates, you will need both friction plates and steel, make sure you fill a small bucket with oil and let the friction plates soak in oil...I have never done this to my 200SX, but helped another friend.

Bermbanger is the one to talk to, he thinks he's good.....OOPS, I mean, he's good at this stuff.....LOL, Bermbanger had nothing else to do than take apart his 200SX when he had it, he knows it inside and out....LOL, only kidding Berm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2001, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

k the engine sounds fine sp it must be the clutch so ive narrowed it down to the manual clutch

only problem now is ive got to get new bolts for where the swingarm attaches to the rear axle because i lost 2 making me also need a new chain and sprocets and maybe a new seal/gasket

oh well the warrior is coming soon

Old 10-21-2001, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Well the first thing I would try and do is adjust it. If you look on the right sidecase theres a bolt sticking out of the cases. I can't quite remember how to adjust it with this bolt but if you have a manual check it out. When mine always started slipping I would just adjust it. Now if when you first start riding it and it doesn't slip then gradually gets worse you just need some heavy duty springs, but if it doesn't ever get any better after its cooled off you'll need new plates and springs. Let me know if you have any other questions about this machine.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

WOW, very good Key.

Mike- I have a repair manual for the SX, I can type out the steps for adjusting the clutch for you if you want??

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2001, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

clutch adjust ment

take one ring spanner and screw driver

losen the lock nut while holding the centre screw stationary....

turn the screw anticlockwise till internal resistance, then clockwise 1/4 of a turn (if you owned a yamaha its 1/8)

do up lock nut again

....finish

clutch plates are the same diameter as xr200 = cheap....common (not totally the same thou)

it will be the main clutch....if it is......if ya get it off....do springs too....even if they look right.....still change them

you should be able to tell if the clutch is slipping....

laters

pudding

Old 10-21-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

My SX is doing the same thing. Also the engine compression braking is gone. When i go down hills in first gear it just flys right down unless you give it a little gas.

Old 10-22-2001, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

cory that means your other clutch is worn (the lil one)...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]......simple!

if i remeber right it was $150NZD.....about $63USD for parts.....but that was 6-7 years ago

laters

pudding

Quick Reply: 200sx problem no power