Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need comments on CT 350 powervalve motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased an '88 250r with a CT 350 powervalve motor. The person I bought it from lives in Michigan (700 ft. elevation) and I live in Utah (4500 ft. elevation). Does anyone out there ride at this similar elevation with a 350 powervalve motor have a suggestion on what jetting I should start with? Also, if there are any other CT 350 powervalve owners out there please tell me if you are satisfied with the reliability and performance of the kit? Thanks for your response.

Old 10-30-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Tell us how it goes

Old 10-31-2001, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I'll keep you posted on how it runs after this weekend. I ordered an ESR airbox eliminator kit, so I'll be messing around with my jetting for the better part of the day. Thanks for responding.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I cant comment on the reliability of the CT motor, but I can tell you, that thing rips!!! My buddies 85 ATC 250R just got pumped up with the 350 PV motor a few months ago and it was plain scary fast. Hangimg with big bore, ported banshees, and only losing to a banshee on alky by a few lengths. I seem to remember him saying that he was running a 160 main at 8500 feet elevation. What size jet is currently installed? Maybe try a 180 main, since your at half the elevation... Just a thought...

RoostKing...

Old 11-01-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

RoostKing, thanks for your input. I'm glad to hear your buddy is happy with the performance of his motor. I'M running a #185 main jet to start with and will adjust if needed from there. I rode it on the street today for the first time and holy s**t, it's extremely fast. Everything feel's fast on the street though. What I noticed right away was how responsive it is compared to my old 250r. No hesitation what so ever. I'll post back afer this weekend and let you know what I think. Thanks again.

Old 11-01-2001, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have the CT 350 PV and its very nice. The 1st impressions I got was that it felt slow due to the 'no hit' of the PV. But I quickly found out it is surprisingly fast! I think Ii am running a 195 main with a 39mm carb. This set up is a tad fat where I ride (Glamis Approx 300feet)
You can see a full write up on the 350PV motor in the Dune Zone on ATV Connection. Click on Project SandTrax Part 3 CT PowerValve motor. Reliability? Same as any of CT's big bore's, very reliable!

Cya in the dunes!

Old 11-03-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Mike thanks for your input as well. I'm curious to know what filter system you are running? That was an informative write up on the Dune Zone.

Old 11-03-2001, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you getting the machine from a guy in lapeer Mi? Just curious because he always has machines in auto swapper with supposed low or no hours on them "cleanest you will find anywhere". I have to admit his machines do look like knew but I was just a little skeptical on how he could have so many that have not been used. I really would like to know his source where he finds all of these machines if it is true. Please post back once you receive your machine and let me know if it was all it was supposed to be. Buy the way did he cut you a deal or does his firm price really mean firm?

Old 11-03-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I did buy the quad from a guy named Scott in Lapeer. He told me it was his buddies quad and he needed to sell it to pay for his new house. When I received it, I could tell the motor was just assembled because of the fresh gaskets through out. I went over every nut and bolt and I can tell you this, If indeed it was his buddies quad he doesn't no how to turn a wrench. The castle nuts were all loose on the hubs, the lower ball joints were loose, steering stem loose, handle bar clamp loose, shock linkage, and some of the bolts were extremely rusty. I replaced many nuts and bolts with original Honda hardware and sanded, primed, and painted the frame. The swingarm, a-arms and gas tank are in really nice shape. I have my suspicions that this wasn't his friends quad. A day later I got on atvtrader.com and he had another '88 for sale. He also told me he had an '88 (totally restored to original) in his basement and that someone offered him $8000 for it and he turned it down. When it came to price he knocked off $200 because I needed to ship it to Utah. I've seen cleaner quads but I'm not that disappointed. He wouldn't believe it was the same quad if he was to see it now. Just needed some TLC.

Old 11-04-2001, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I am currently using the ESR air box elimonator kit.

Quick Reply: Need comments on CT 350 powervalve motor