Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why doesn't my engine want to start after I wash my ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I wash my ATV my engine doesnt want to start too well, I have to leave the choke on and let it start for a long time.

There must be water getting in somewhere, I'm thinking in the spark plug wire cap. What do you think???

Old 10-28-2001, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

You want to check all electrical connections, and also make sure you dont get any water in thru the exhaust, that is really what it sounds like. Plus, after a wash, the engine is alot cooler than running condition. Since you have a 4 stroke, it is actually to be expected. 4 strokes always take alot longer to warm up. I hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2001, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all, are you using a presure washer?
If so, keep is away from the electrical systems. You'd be amazed at how well those things are at pushing water into where is doesn't belong.

Else, you're probably right. Because of the high voltage involved, the spark plug cap and coil are more suseptable to water "shorting" them out. If it's all original the rubber may be dried out and not sealing well. Look for a hard cracking brittle spark plug cap.

Giving the electrical connections (including the spark plug cap) a shot of WD40 will displace the water, and may help you find the spot that is giving trouble.

Regards,

Phin,

Old 10-28-2001, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

you might of sucked water in threw your air filter ky friends warrior always does that

Old 10-28-2001, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I rarely use my pressure washer, usually just the garden hose.

Water in my exhaust sounds like the right thing, I do spray at my exhaust alot to get the mud off of it, water probably got down the pipe, because the pipe goes downward from the rear to the engine.
LilMan- I dont think water gets in my airbox, the 200SX's have a good air snorkel to keep water out, you'd have to see it to understand how good it is.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-29-2001, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

If it's on your 87 200SX, you could get a new wiring (from the coil to the plug, not the complete electrical one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). With time, it lets water in, thus giving much less "juice". Maybe you have some leaks somewhere...or simply the engine is too cold (air cooled, uh?) to run without the choke...

Old 10-29-2001, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

it ok mine does that too, im pretty sure that its the exhaust because once i looked back and saw mist coming from the exhaust after washing it so thats probably what happens.

Old 10-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

As mentioned....you may be getting the electrics wet...But more important....go to your local hardware store and get a rubber plug that fits your exhaust. (I know dennis kirk carries them too)...also put a bag over your air intake everytime you wash.

Old 10-29-2001, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah Zorro, it's the SX. Water in the exhaust or the wiring could be shorting it out, one of those two...or BOTH!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]...I have heard of di-electric grease, I guess it keeps water away from connections, anyone heard of this??, should I try it??

Old 10-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

"4 strokes always take alot longer to warm up." WRONG [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

MY 250X use to get water in the pipe too, ran like crap for about 10 minutes then it cleared up. I went to the hardware store and bought a 1 1/4 rubber cap and put it over the end of my pipe and never had a problem again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my engine want to start after I wash my ATV??