Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Mojave & 300EX Drag

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001 | 09:59 PM
|
Pro Rider

Today I went to Lembo Park, in New York for the first time. It was great, but I was looking to race a few people on my Mojave. I finally found this kid who had a 1998 300Ex with a complete FMF exhaust. We decided to have a drag race (Me thinking he would win). My friend gave us the go, and we were off. We both got a good start, wheeling off the line. We were equal until about 4th gear, where I started to pull away from him. After that I beat him by about two bike lenghts. We decided to go again. This time he got a better start (about 1 bike length). I still caught up to him and beat him by a foot or so. WE switched machines, and still the Mojave won. I was suprised by this, but a few races wasn't enough. I found another guy with a 1999 300Ex. This one had some mods for motocross. Shocks, wheels tires, White Brothers exhaust and air box removed. I thought that he would roost all over me. Guessed wrong. Same thing, except this time, I only beat him by less then a bike length. What gives? I remember Dirt Wheels saying that the STOCK 300Ex would beat a STOCK Mojave in a drag. Are the mags really that off? I can't wait till I get some goodies for my quad. HaHa.

Old 10-29-2001 | 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

something is wrong with those 300ex's, cause i've owned both a mojave and a 300ex, and the ex was WAY better and a WHOLE LOT faster, i dont know what to tell you , but i dont understand how you beat them, maybe you got lucky and got any awesome bike out of the factory, who knows?

Old 10-29-2001 | 10:51 AM
Range Rover

I think that Ms. TitanRacing2 is a bit bitter. I recently owned a 2001 Mojave and even before my mods it kicked the crap out of 300EX's, Warriors and Blasters. You cant rely on certain magazines. The deepest pockets get the best reviews. Mojave's always surprise people until they ride one or see one in action. A stock Mojave will hang with a stock 400EX in a drag until 4th gear. Unfortunately, as I have said before "speed doesnt really matter" and a Mojave handles like a tank. Kawasaki really needs to step up to the plate. I am sure that when they do release a quad, it will be the power king.

Old 10-29-2001 | 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

That's very surprising to here. I used to own two 1995 300ex's. One of them was completly stock and the other had some mods to it (DG RCM pipe, and a K and N air filter). I race a friend of mine that had a Mojave with both the stock 300ex and my modded one and both EX's took the Mojave consistantly. My stock 300ex didn't beat it by much only by about a bike length. But my modded 300ex beat it by about 2 or 3 bike lengths.

I know that both machines are close competitors, and both good machines, the 300ex is way better. I also thought that the Mojave would be a little bit quicker due to it's more complex engine (DOHC) where as the 300ex is a (SOHC). The 300ex does handle a lot better and is a better jumper.

As for Dirt Wheels magazine being wrong....no I don't think so. Dirt Wheels is like Consumers Reports--they buy everything and test everything themselves and rate it themselves. It not only depends on the machine, but mostly the rider. In drag racing, in my opinion, getting a good start is the key as well as who gets to the highest gear the fastest. The fact that both of you wheelied on the start doesn't help. You want to keep your front end close to the ground so that you can get out. Which means sit on the gas tank when you let the clutch out through 1st, 2nd, and probably 3rd gear. I am guessing that you were the better rider of the other two riders.

Fourtracker14

Old 10-29-2001 | 03:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

We switched bikes, and while I was on the 300ex, the kid on my Mojave still beat me. I don't think that BOTH ex's had something wrong with them, I thought the first one might be messed up, so I raced the other one. I just remembered that I have a 13 tooth front srpoket, maybe this would be enough for the Mojave to win. I am pretty sure both ex's had stock gearing.

Old 10-29-2001 | 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

i don't think the honda boyz like getting beat by an antique ha ha

Old 10-30-2001 | 08:58 AM
Range Rover

Hey, I am a Honda guy through and through. I grew up fifteen + years ago on a 200S, the a 200X and to this day believe Honda makes the best OVERALL quad. But fact is fact and a Mojave does out perform a 300EX. As you can see I just sold one, but there are still three that run with us on a regular basis. It has amazed me that the darn Mojaves are on my butt in drag races until i hit top of third gear. To bad they handle like tanks. My Warrior is a dog compared to the Mojave's. Sorry fellow Honda guys...

Old 10-30-2001 | 04:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey freakystone,
I happened to take the 300Ex around a couple trails while I had the cnahce. When I rode the 300Ex, I wasn't that suprised with it's handling. I felt a lot more comfortable on my quad then I did on the Ex. Sure, the steering was nice and so was the braking, but it wasn't all that much better than what im used to on the Mojave. And when I tried to get the EX in reverse, I see how some think it is a pain in the @$$. Anyone know the top speed of an ex with a pipe?

Old 10-30-2001 | 04:58 PM
Range Rover

I hear you but I am not talking about the ride of a 300EX. I am talking 400EX. Big difference. I liked my Mojave alot. It kicked more than one Warrior's or 300EX's teeth in. But other that that, it handled bad. Stiff suspension that about bucks you off in whoops. Poor turning and handling, evident from multiple bent front rims. Small build. I am 6'2", 220lb. and it is too small to enjoy. On real steep hills it tends to run out of torque... I mean super steep and long. The stock tires, swing arm, a-arms and pipe are very poor. But again, I liked it alot. It was cheap. $3300 out the door new. It was fun and a good mid range type quad.

Old 10-30-2001 | 08:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yea, I was looking for a cheap atv, as long as it had a manual clutch. So when I found this Mojave in my town, for $1000, I couldn't resist. I plan on changing all of the things that you mentioned. When I got the atv I was happy with it's preformance. Since then, I have ben exposed to riding with Raptors and need to have a little more power. I am going to get the FST 330cc Kit as soon as money will allow me. It would be nice to own a new atv one day, but I'm only 14, so I don't have that high of an income. When I'm done with my atv, it will cost less than $3000 total, and preform excellent.

Quick Reply: Mojave & 300EX Drag