Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, lets see, you're 16 and either already driving a car or soon will be. Do you think if you have an accident that's your fault, that they are going to repair the guys car with old used parts just because the guy had an old car? Nope, the insurance pays for new body panels & paint.
You operated someone elses property without permission and it's damaged as a result. You're on the hook to make it right. I wouldn't tell the guy to take it to court because you would probably lose. I'm not saying it's right for someone to demand new plastic to replace old scratched plastic but in an accident they don't let the person responsible decide what he thinks is fair to pay. Trust me, any time you pay for damage to someones car or property you are not going to think the repair is fairly priced, but that's how it is.
You're in a tough spot because really you have no defense. I would suggest talking to the kids parents and say you want to do whats fair for both parties and hope they don't try to put the screws to you.

Old 11-04-2001, 01:45 AM
The Facility

crawdad is exactly right and I will add a popular quotation that I tell everyone at the shop. DON'T RIDE OTHER PEOPLES MACHINES BECAUSE IF SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN, IT'S WHEN YOU ARE ON IT!!!!

Old 11-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Next time just let the truck smash into it!

Also just give him your old rim get him bars, lever and grab bar and thats it. If he doesnt like it TFB ! he shouldnt have left it in the way. 1 question. Why didnt you down shift or hit the brakes or killswitch or something. J/W

Old 11-04-2001, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry,
but your story sounds a little ''fishy'' to me?You said you were in third gear when the ATV hit the little bump and flipped.Why the need to go to 3rd gear just to move the ATV out of the way of the scales?And the throttle ''stuck''?Why did you not IMMEDIATELY pull in on the clutch and hit the engine stop switch?You claimed to give the ATV only a LITTLE gas?

If I were to move an ATV for the sole purpose of getting it out of the way,I would not need to use more than 1st gear and the throttle would not have to move more than 1/4 way.Im sorry,but YOU owe your friend replacement parts,regardless of the shape they were in prior to this mishap.

Bill [ATV Safety Instructor]

Old 11-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

250EX has an auto clutch

Old 11-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

You rode it without permission - you have to replace what you damaged... that is just the way it works. Sucks, but, you took on the responsibility when you hit that start button.

However you end up handling this, it sounds like you probably won't be friends with the kid after this.

good luck.

Old 11-04-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

<< Why did you not IMMEDIATELY pull in on the clutch and hit the engine stop switch?
Bill [ATV Safety Instructor]
>>

And your a ATV Safety Instructor?!?!?! If you were a real ATV Safety Instructor, you should know that a 250EX does not have a manuel clutch...!

It makes me wonder if one day you will tell a kid that if his throttle sticks on his 250EX, to pull in the &quot;so called clutch&quot; which is located on the left handelbar (which is really the rear BRAKE!) and hit the engine kill switch and send him/her crashing into a tree or over the handelbars or something.....some instructor...

Old 11-04-2001, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

try Plastic renew on the plastic it works great. and trade him rims and get him new bars and grab bar. and 3rd gear isn't a moving it outta the way speed its more like a.. &quot; well im moving it i might as well see what it can do&quot; bars are cheap and if you have to buy him two new douglauses for the front its still cheaper then one stock and it will keep him happy. mybe even buy him some renthals laying around at some shop. they mybe just a cheap. again to keep him happy.

Old 11-04-2001, 08:46 PM
The Facility

jeffman, You are way out of line blasting someone because of an error. ATVs used in instructor training hardly ever consists of sport models. Maybe because the machine is new, and it has the EX prefix he assumed it was manual clutch. The men and women working as ATV instructors do a damn good job. They are part of the reason the sport hasn't suffered the doom and gloom days of the mid 80s. A notification of an error is one thing, everyone makes 'em, but being a smart a$$ about it is just stupitity on your part. I'm beginning to wonder if some of you on this board are here just to poke fun at the people who have dedicated most of their life to the sport and are here only to help. I'm new to this board and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. If that means having to deal with some of you guys slamming THE PROFESSIONALS in the sport, then so be it. But I'll be here waiting for your ignorant and arrogant responses and you can bet I'll say something about it. KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-04-2001, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeffman,
What are you,some kind of a wiseguy/smartA$$?

I figured because the 300ex and the 400ex are clutched models,so would the 250ex?This is a newer model and I have yet to see one in any of my ATV safety classes.And I surly check EVERY ATV for its shift type PRIOR to ANY operation in my safety classes.I make sure every student knows how to PROPERLY shift his/her ATV BEFORE starting out.The smartass remark you made above could NEVER happen in my class.

Because im a ATV instructor,you feel that I should AUTOMATICALLY know the shift operation of EVERY ATV on the market without ever seeing the ATV,if not,you refer to me as ''some kind of instructor''

My job as an ATV safety instructor has NOTHING to do with me knowing the correct shift pattern of EVERY manufactured ATV in the world BEFORE it makes it into class.Once the ATV appears in my class,rest ASSURED,I have knowledge of the shift type/pattern BEFORE the ATVs ever move.My job is to ensure the safe and responsable operation of ATVs.

A job I hold in HIGH regard!

Bill

Quick Reply: a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look