Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago my teenage son was horsing around with some friends at a neighbors house and they were all throwing a plastic wiffle ball bat at each other. The end of the plastic bat was cracked and had a sharp piece of plastic sticking up. To make a long story short, the neighbor boy got cut by the sharp plastic and his parents were mad at my son because he just happened to be the one that threw the bat the time their son got cut, even though their own son was also throwing it.
Well, my neighbor decided to be a jerk and said the bat went in their above ground pool and must have cut their liner because it had a couple of tears in it. Truth was, the pool was all rusted and about falling down and the liner had been split above the water line for a couple of years.
The point I'm trying to make here is that my neighbor decided to put the screws to me and try to make me buy him a new pool liner. It was similar to what is being asked of you with this 4 wheeler.
I'll tell you how I ended up handling my situation because it could pertain to yours.
I called my insurance agent and asked if my teenage son was covered for any accidental property damage while he was on someone elses property. He said yes, a minor would be covered under my homeowner policy for any accidental damage.
I told my neighbor my insurance would handle it and I left it at that. They ended up writing the jerk a check for a new pool liner. He then tore his old pool down and bought a new lawn tractor with the money. While I'm out push mowing my yard, he tools buy on his lawn tractor...the jerk.
Anyway, if they keep trying to get too much money out of you, see if it would be covered under your parents homeowners insurance. You are a minor and it was an accident, and that's what insurance is for.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Talk to the kids father and work something out. If the father says you have to buy plastic, bars, a rim, etc.. you will have to buy those parts. Next time, don't ride anyones quad but your own. We all learn from our mistakes.

Old 11-05-2001, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, What a bunch of interesting opinions. I work for an insurance company, I am a licensed agent in 14 states. The truth of the matter is that you did the right thing by offering exactly what you have offered. You have no liability until it is PROVEN that you are responsible for the damages. You are innocent until proven guilty. It would probably never go to court (court cost are more than the new parts) and I personally would never give anything to anyone that tried to purposely damage or steal something of mine. I would tell him to have a nice day and make sure your 4 wheeler is never left at his disposal, and on a little more personal note, hitting a double and comming down on his head accidentally doesn't sound to bad either... I am old enough to know better but still too young to care... Always take care of yourself, only true friends deserve your time and energy...

Old 11-05-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! this is a kid story, not an adult crime! (don't take it as an offense derek!). I don't think he will take you to court. His dad could...but if you know him a little (and looks like he was embarassed to show you the mess), talk to him, and tell him what you will do. Stop talking with the boy. He's to young to understand what life is all about.
If I were you, I'd get him a rim (or swap with your EX rims, the way you like it), put on a lever, and what you wanted to change. Straighten his handlebars too. Do it when he's not there (like when he messed your wheeler). Then tell him "there you go kiddy. That's my deal. I repaired your wheeler, and I say we're even.". You're already very nice to repair it for him. Is he so cheap to refuse buying a lever and some lil crap?
I had an ex-friend, who wanted to ride a snowmobile. I said sure, take mine, it turns great (a 440MXZx). We head to a trail. The FIRST turn, he misses it, and crashes into a tree. 1500 worth of damage, he never payed for it, never offered to help repairing...just laughed stupidly like a no brainer he is.
Bottom line. Deal with dad. It will be somewhat more serious.

But still...why were you in 3rd?

Old 11-05-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Also, i forgot to mention to you guys, he also has already been through a pair of handlebars, he snapped his stock pair (after they had been bent for a long long time) and so he bought a set of the expensive renthals about 2 months ago. And i can guarantee he has flipped his quad about 4 times since he has though (I was asking around today and found out he has wrecked it alot more than i thought. So those bars have definately been bent before me. As for the plastic, i will try some of that plastic renue.

This is what i Think i will propose:

*****I will switch rims with him.
*****I will pay 25 dollars towards an aftermarket grab bar (25 is how much a stock one cost, and he wants aftermarket, so its fair that he pays difference.
*****I will buy him a new lever
*****i will work on his plastic
*****I will bend his bars back

I talked to his sister today at school, and i asked her if her family is mad at me, and she said that they werent real mad, only sloan was. And then I had kids all day coming up to me, cause i guess he talked to as many kids as he could last night talking about how i demolished his fourwheeler, and say alot of names that i cant post here, well, i will leave out the first letter, they include "ay" "sswhole" "agget" "stupid ucker" along with another long list. If we were to go to court, and i took those people who told me what he said, couldnt i get him right back with deformation of character? eminems mom got 10 million. Im not really in this to make a profit though, im just trying to get it resolved as cheaply as possible.

Oh and for the person who said "since it was in there barn, he could do what he wants to" why dont you come over and have dinner sometime, and when i have someone take out your engine, or your tires, i guess thats perfectly fine, because it was in my driveway, right?

Oh and also, who could try and repair the rim, like a tire shop, or more like a honda dealer?

Old 11-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

an08960:hey
D2E0R0E4K: what can i do for you sloan
an08960: pay for the damage
D2E0R0E4K: i will man, for the damage i caused
an08960: o
D2E0R0E4K: Im going to switch the rims, buy you a new brake lever, give you $20 for the grab bar, work on your plastic a little bit, and bend your bars back
D2E0R0E4K: sound fair?
an08960: yep
D2E0R0E4K: alright glad we got that worked out
an08960: yeah

Well things are starting to look better, anyone know where i can pick up a cheap brake lever, and are all of them the same, or will i have to buy a specific honda 250ex brake lever.

Thanks alot guys, you have been alot of help.

Oh and also, anyone have the instructions on how to get scratches out, i think you have to sand and do a lot of stuff, but i would be interested to know how. Thanks again

Derek

Old 11-05-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Bill! I guess it would be obvious since its 2 bigger brothers are manuels. But sorry guys, I was such an ***, but we all have our bad days ya know.

Old 11-05-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

that plastic renew is a pain in the butt...you gotta sand and sand and sand. i say you just sand em real nice with some fine sand paper and leave it at that.do a half assed job. lol

Old 11-06-2001, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey juggalo, are you talking about that plastic renew stuff I saw in Dirtwheels a couple of months ago??? How does it work?? I flipped my 400EX over on some rocks and it scratched my front and rear plastic pretty good and I was thinking about getting some of that suff and see how it worked.

Old 11-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

yeah thats the stuff. it works like this: you get many different grains of sandpaper. you start with the corsest grain and sand everywhere. you can't just sand one area or it'll look weird and bad. then you go to finer and finer grains until your at the last one. you could just leave it like that but the plastic will look somewhat faded, kinda like maier. the plastic renew helps with the shine a little but eventually wears off. its still not as good as original anyways. my friend just sanded his fenders with some fine sand paper and it worked good for the minor scratches and reduced some of the bigger ones but now it seems like his plastic scratches easier. i say if you gotta sand his plastic just do it with some fine paper. make sure you get everywhere but don't go too deep. then spray on some STP son of a gun (its like armor all but better i think) and leave it on there for at least an hour. then come back and wipe it off with a towel. that way it'll look good but after he rides it a while it'll start to fade some but by that time he'll think it was his fault.