Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Quicksilver Carb on 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend this carb!! The Edelbrock factory is in San Jacinto, which is near where I live. So, I thought I would call tech service and ask them if they could suggest a local shop with installation experience. They said don't bother, just bring it over. In about an hour, it was on the bike and running! They installed it for FREE (I did tip the guys in the shop). Tuning is simple (there are no jets to change!!!). High end mixture is adjusted by changing the needle size. Low end is adjusted by changing needle height, and is easily done with a screwdriver (or a tool they supply). You can do the adjustment out on the trail, and the nice part is no clips, and no taking the slide out to make the adjustment. The accelerator pump is also easily adjustable with a screwdriver.

I've only put a couple of hours on the carb, but here are my first impressions. (The only other motor mods I have so far are an FMF header and pipe, and a K&N.) The bike pulls VERY much stronger through the mid and high range. Bottom end is better than stock, but I will have to do some more fine tuning to get the explosive throttle response that this carb is known for. Right now I'm getting a touch of bog, and there is a little backfire when I decelerate form a low throtle position. So, I think I am still a touch lean on the low end. I think I'll increase the accelerator pump a tad, and hope that is the fix. Anyway, this looks to be a great carb, and a great company!