Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250EX floor board question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think he probably wants something that will allow him to "glide" over logs and stuff.

Nerfs suck. Here's why:

Nerfs are ugly, add unnecessary weight, provide a nice place for your foot to slip down into, trapping your ankle so you can't pull it back up before the next root comes along and gives you a compound tib/fib fracture. Gives me the HeeBeeGeeBee's just thinking about it.

You can't hill climb with nerfs. Now, I mean REAL hillclimbing, not coasting up some hill that 8000 other people have been up. I mean hill climbing where you have to actually steer, get on and off the throttle, etc...

The ONLY thing nerfs are good for is racing, REAL racing, when you are getting rammed in the side, HARD. I can preach that with certainty, since my right nerf is STILL bent in from somebody hitting me so hard, I almost flipped it. It sure saved my bacon.

Old 11-23-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

philmore don't take this as me trying to start an arguement these are merely questions and/or my opinions. first i think nerfs look awesome and mine have saved my legs from getting sucked up under the wheels many times. i don't get what u mean by them making it easier to hurt yourself with..could you calrify please? add weight? yes. unnescisary...on the contrary i feel its added nesscisary weight. i've never had my foot slip between the nets... oh yeah and what can't you do hillclimbs with them? i'll take your word on this but i'd just like to know why..i don't see any harm in having them.

Old 11-23-2001, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

The reason people's nets get ripped up is because they sag them too low, which causes them to get caught on roots, stumps, whatever. It seems that some people get nerfs because they look cool, but if thats all you want 'em for, than just skip getting them. Personally, I need nefs, and I can ride faster with them, especially on really tight (i'm talking bark striped off of the trees tight) trails. Why? They keep your quad lined up with the trail...as in no tree coming between the tires and crushing your foot/bending your axle. They kind of guide you through. Also, they have saved my *** more times than I would like to think about when racing. PS. If you are concerned about nerfs getting caught on obsticles, steer clear of DG. They are mounted below the footpeg, which makes no sense to me anyway. Go with Graydons or AC (if they are availible for the 250ex).

Old 11-24-2001, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Juggalo,

I just think nerfs are ugly, that is all. I have seen a few nice looking quads with them on, but when you take a bone stock quad, and throw nerfs on it, it just seems poseur to me...

Many brands of nerfs have the webbing that runs front to back, and the sideways webbing does not connect to the frame. This leaves a gap between the lower frame rail, and the webbing that runs parallel to it. I got wacky in the woods once, and would have been thrown off the quad, but somehow my right foot (MX BOOT) slipped between the gap. I could not get away from the quad, and when the quad rolled past a tree, guess what, I was right in line with the tree. There I go, hanging off the right side of the quad, and yup, SMACKOLA. I didn't get hurt bad, but it was pretty scary at the time. I was really cussing those nerfs! Usually I take them off if I am not racing, but sometimes I get lazy, ya know? BTW, they are cheap crap, DG nerfs. Now, I know that I must add more webbing, but, most people are going to buy them, and just slap them on. Hopefully, what happened to me won't happen to them! Now, you might say, "Phil, you suck, if you can't keep your feet on the pegs, what good are you?!" Well, when I ride, I guess I really get into it! I have been thinking about getting some of those turned up peg extenders like Denton used, I just keep forgetting to order them! I do admit though, that for some reason or habit, my feet seem really light on the peg. My foot is constantly flying out, I have to make a concious effort to keep them on there sometimes. Have you seen those old ATV mags where the guy is totally sideways into a corner, and his outide foot is sticking out in the direction he is sliding? That is the way I ride, and I can't stop!

Hillclimbing:
If you do technical hills, you will at some point, have to put your foot down, or jump off the quad in a hurry. In the heat of the moment, if you jump, and land on the nerfs, and your foot gets stuck... You get the picture, don't you? If you do have to put your foot down, and you have nerfs, you really gotta stick your leg way out there. It just makes it harder thats all.

The reason I ended up with DG? I decided I was going to race MX at Brainerd, MN one day. The race was on the following friday, which left me no time to mail order gear. I drove down to Dennis Kirk, and DG's are all they had... My neighbor has Graydon nerfs on his 400EX, and they seem really well built, and the mounting is intelligent. The DG's are slap on units with U-bolts, and a steel plate that actually goes between your foot peg and the frame. Seems like a weak spot to me, although they haven't broken, and my footpegs have stayed on. But, even on the Graydon units, the web is not attached directly to the frame, as I now know it should be.

250rampage2's description of the nerfs guiding the quad through the trees seems like a sound one. It makes sense. I don't have experience <u>racing</u> in the woods, hare scramble, cross country, etc. But, if I do, I will have the nerfs on, because other quads will certainly be ramming into me.

phil

PS Omg! I see those Raptor foot guards are $225? Ouch! cough cough!

PPS Juggalo, those wheelies are pretty cool. You should try for a couple more of those backward ones, and get a good picture! I did a one footed can-can wheelie the other day, and thought I was so cool! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

philmoore i see what your sayin about the nerfs..i just haven't rode any quads with nerfs like that so i didn't realize what you were talkin about. also i see your point about the hillclimbs. oh yeah and don't worry bout your feet slippin off the pegs mine do that all the time...i've come close to rollin my ankle and runnin it over a few times now without nerfs..i need em! and i also ride like that..all my homemade tracks don't have burms so i get all the way one one side of the quad with one of my legs pointing straight out too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
its a lot harder to do those backwards wheelies now that my tires are just about bald! its hard to get traction like that cuz theres not a lot of weight on the back of the quad...when those were takin my tires were just about perfect. if you wanna impress the ladies doin a wheelie try this one: do a wheelie then reach up and grab your front bumper then ride it like that. it'll take some practice but once you get the hang of it people will think your cool lol.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:55 AM
Range Rover

thank you for all your input the the nerfs! i think i might go with them but now the brand to choose! graydon and dg both make them for 250EX. i want ones that DO NOT sag! if you have dg are you satisfied and if you have graydons are you satisfied? thanxz!!!

Old 11-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Get the Graydon's. They are so much better quality than the DG. I remember a pair of the DG (Don't Get's) I had on a blaster, and they mounted low, and came with low quality netting. You can control the ammount of sag in the nets, as you put them on to your liking during install.

Old 11-24-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

yeah get the graydons...anything DG sucks. and yes you can control how much or how little sag you want.

Old 11-24-2001, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

<u>NOT satisfied with DG nerfs!</u>

phil

Old 11-25-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

<< thank you for all your input the the nerfs! i think i might go with them but now the brand to choose! graydon and dg both make them for 250EX. i want ones that DO NOT sag! if you have dg are you satisfied and if you have graydons are you satisfied? thanxz!!! >>

If you read there post you would notice DG sucks and Graydon is way better. Well since you didnt read or or something here it is again DG SUCKS!!!!!! I have DG on my R they are all bent and crappy, I will be getting some GRAYDON nerfs.

Quick Reply: 250EX floor board question?