Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How is the 400ex in trails,hills,and jumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i was wondering how the 400ex is in trails,hills,and jumps because im thinking of seling raptor for 400ex nd then im gunna bore out to 440ex and bunches off stuf well jus do wat i asked tahnks

kevin

Old 11-24-2001, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think the 400 EX is awesome in the trails. It has a WHOLE lot better steering than the raptor and it's a lot quicker than a raptor. Hill.... It seems to do good. and jumps well i haven't really hit any big jumps but the jumps i have hit it does good. What kind of riding do u do mostly???? If it's trail riding i'd go with a 400. I raced a raptor and we were both stock and he didn't catch me till i was in low 5th. The raptor just has a lot more top end than a 400 so its pretty much just better for open field racing and stuff like that. Good luck on your decision i hope my information has helped somewhat!

Old 11-24-2001, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

The raptor is a very nice machine, but not for me.
If you make a list of what type of riding you like to do, this list will narrow the amont of quads you have to look for.
The raptor sits to high for me, and thats all I need to know about it. Sure it has awsome power real good set up, but doesn't fit me.
For trails the EX is a good choice.
I know the EX owners won't want to hier it but it's not the only choice.
How many bikes have you bought and left stalk, my point exactly!
What about suzuki's new Z-400, the numbers show a graet deal more than the EX, but will it be a trails bike, only time will tell.
The fact that I love cross country racing and enduro trails, I have to have reverse. Now the EX owners will say they don't need reverse and they don't miss it, they would if they had it.
Thiers alot of quads out thier that aren't mx based and do awsome in the trails, take a look around and see what fits you!

Old 11-24-2001, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I currently have a Raptor, but did own a 400ex for a while. The Raptor is much faster in every situation, although it is not near stock, engine or suspension. I can honestly say though, I had as much fun on the 400ex, with about 2/3 the money invested in it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

he he he[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
(this was supposed to show up after Ace400ex's post)

Old 11-24-2001, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

well riding i do is trails,hills,gncc tracks,and jumping. so im not sure i have people calling me about the raptor. Alls im gunna say to my mom is ta the raptor is to big of machine for me (lie) and that i want to get omehting a lil saler like warrior or 400ex but heck no on a warrior. So thanks for helping me keep on posting and is the 400ex good for wt i said just now.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

A 400ex is very nice, for many things.
You mention gncc racing, I haven't raced them yet but I will try to make atleast nine races this up and coming season, with my first in macon goergia.
If I could give a little advice, gncc is more of a endurance race than a who has the most horse power.
I'm 6' 1" and 230lbs, I like something low to the ground and short wheel based, I presently have a auto clutch lakota and find it a very good trails bike. No I don't think I can run with 400ex's but I can tell you I give them all they can handle.
If you are serious about gncc races, thiers alot of quads poeple view as un desirable, but they have a place and a purpose.
The raptor for instance is not good at all in cross country, sits to high, high center of gravity, poor gearing, and just plain old bouncy.

I don't want to dog any one and don't mean to affend any one, but if your serious, look a little better.

I go to the mx track every weekend, my son races and I watch for the most part. I do race my lakota from time to time, mostly because thiers not enough quads for a class, and the other riders ask me.
I never won, but never finished less than fith, have beaton many nice bikes and beaton by many nice bikes.
The reason mx doesn't thrill me is because it's just who has the most money in thier quad wins, thats it nothing more.
The problem with quads today is they are so dated. I can go back to the mid 80's and get a few quads that will run circles around the ex and raptor and thats a damn shame.
So in your quest find what you realy want, because how long do you think mom can take a beating on 6 to 7 thousand dallor quads.

Old 11-24-2001, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

ok i think im getting yellow 400ex.An wat i want to do is start racing in gncc wat do u think would be the best a-arms i was thinking roll design croos country ther sweet.

i love doug eichers qaud i sorta wanna do his set up so i think will get roll design a-arms with tcs "scs" shocks well thanks

and gaff i ride trails, gncc, jumps, ad kinda mx, i not likig hills to much any more because jsu rolled raptor on hill but nothing happened to it

AND PLEASE ANSWER QESTION ONROLL DESIGN A-ARMS

Old 11-25-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

My 400EX Ratings: *=Bad *****=Perfect

Trails: *****
Hills: *****
Mud: **** (due to ground clearance)
Jumps: *****

Overall Rating: ***** PERFECT!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2001, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

I do pretty much the same kind of riding.
My first race is march 23rd in macon goergia. I won't be able to make the first race in flarida, due to I work that week end.
I have four of the five first half of the seasons races off, and plan on making them.
My son, who rides mx, will be entering the juniors.

The second half of the season I haven't figured out yet, I have the time off, but it starts to get pretty far to drive.

My family lives in st clairsville ohio, so I will deffinately make it to that one and I guess it will work it self out some how.
Rite now I'm just concerned with making the first race.
As far as set up goes, try to come up with some of your own, this is an endurance race, and you need to find what will work for you. Most of the stuff from the others will work, but some you will have to come up with your self.
I'll give you a good one, I'm 6'1" and had to buy higher handle bars for fatigue reasons, no I didn't think there was any problem with mine, I was just talking about my tired shoulders after a race one day and some guy came over and said try higher handle bars, damn crazy, but it worked.
Get your self in good shape, this aint no cake walk.
And it's not like mx, who has the most money in thier machine wins, it's who can survive for two hours and then try to win.

Quick Reply: How is the 400ex in trails,hills,and jumps